PDV Outbreak...

SandTiger

Phocine Distemper Virus (PDV) has been confirmed again in seals on the Danish island of Anholt in the Kattegat, between Denmark and Sweden. It is from this island that the two previous outbreaks in 1988 and 2002 originated. There is a strong likelihood that PDV could reach the UK within a few weeks.

PDV affects Common seals with the east coast thought to be the main area that will be affected.

The virus causes pneumonia and nervous system damage, including convulsions. Pregnant seals abort their pups. Other symptoms include listlessness and runny eyes and nose along with severe respiratory signs, nervous signs and problems with increased buoyancy and inability to dive, associated with escape of air from the badly damaged lungs out of the chest and under the skin, forming a 'bubble' like hump over the shoulders.

The virus does not affect humans but dogs may be at risk from PDV.

If anyone sees sick or dead seals please do not handle them. Please call BDLMR on 01825 765546 (24hrs).

I seem to remember this occurring a few years back. I really hope they manage to keep it at bay, as I enjoy seeing seals when I'm out. Over the past few years, I've seen quite a few on the Suffolk coast.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I seem to remember this occurring a few years back. I really hope they manage to keep it at bay, as I enjoy seeing seals when I'm out. Over the past few years, I've seen quite a few on the Suffolk coast.

Sadly there is no real pratical way of keeping it at bay. Rehabbing had a 24% success rate but most of the seals that haul out with PDV are in a critical condition already. Huge numbers were affected around the Wash on the last occasions.

Wont the seals that survived the last outbreak be more resistant to the virus this time around?

www.aberporthholidays.co.uk

Regular launch: Aberporth West Wales.

Yak: Malibu II XL

Wont the seals that survived the last outbreak be more resistant to the virus this time around?

This is the current thinking, as a possibility - Still early days yet for that one. But there will be a large number of pups that *may* not be immune. At best it is thought that immunity levels *may* slow down travel to the UK by a few weeks. It's also thought that an infecected seal will abort to protect herself.

See also: http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-countrysi...d/seals/pdv.htm