Problems with Graphics card!

I have this card installed in my PC http://www.pvr-extremist.com/faq.asp and it is it seems FAILING!! Keep getting a LOSS of graphics basically and MS are TRYING to help?! When the graphics go down to nowt! The message tells me the card is stuffed BUT they can offer me help at a destination which will flash up on my re-booting the PC. It never appears!! :D

Tried putting another 128Mb board in which came from a working pc but just get a black screen? And this certainly needs repairing as it is going down now every other day at least! Problem is I am NOT sure what to replace it with or how to replace it?

Board is a POWERVR Kyro 64Mb and does have 64Mb of memory. Is it an AGP or ??????

Edited by Chris Goddard

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

before you bin it turn off pc at mains but leave plugged in ,if the card has a fan clean it and the heat radiator below it ,whilst your at it clean the contacts that go into the slot with a eraser .

check the case fans and the psu one for dust then plug it all back in and start it up ,a lot of graphics card issues can be down to heat as ofcourse general pc faults can be.

also check the monitor connections strange things happen when they are a bit loose

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

before you bin it turn off pc at mains but leave plugged in ,if the card has a fan clean it and the heat radiator below it ,whilst your at it clean the contacts that go into the slot with a eraser .

check the case fans and the psu one for dust then plug it all back in and start it up ,a lot of graphics card issues can be down to heat as ofcourse general pc faults can be.

also check the monitor connections strange things happen when they are a bit loose

Looking at the picture it looks as though the card has a seperate power supply to the video card, so first when you remove you case check to make sure the fan is actually working, if not you may require a power lead to plug into it. Replacing the card is easy as you'll see when you open the case. 1 screw and then lift it out, just a simple push fit. otherwise I would do as chesters says and if all else fails look for another card. You'll see how easy they are to fit and if you use xp and get an half desent card the drivers should install automatically.

A bad day's fishing is better than a good day at work

• 2 weeks later...

Found out the card I need has to be a REVISION 2 compliant for AGP. "The SV266a has an AGP 4x, rev 2.0 compliant, slot, meaning it may have problems with some AGP 8X boards that are not 2.0 compliant. "

He therefore recommended this board:

http://www.buy.com/prod/pny-geforce-6200-2.../201642408.html

Anyone able to tell me if this board is the same spec please???

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=013

OR this?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=004

Or EVEN this?,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=004

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))