First larger mullet

FishingGuernsey

As fishermen get older and are not as active, they are not so protective of their knowledge and tricks.

I ran into a chap, now in his mid 70's, whose family has netted more Bass and Mullet in the Fleet than anyone else.

I should have asked him in front of the well known angler who was at the time picking up some pheasants that I owed him but, I forgot so I went back to find him on Saturday.

"What were the biggest Bass and Mullet that you ever caught". I asked him.

"The biggest Bass was nearly eight and a half kilos" He said.

"The biggest Mullet would have been a bit smaller. Just over seven kilos" He added.

As he quoted kilos and not lbs, I imagine these catches were in recent years.

Are you starting to dribble?

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

We catch plenty on bread in the Medway, which is affectionately known as the 'Mudway', for a very good reason!

More information at: http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/authors/leon22.htm

Cheers for that :) Do you fish for them on the bottom using bread?

Lots of big mullet in the Fowey, the bigger ones like a bit of mackeral flesh, preferably without the skin.

Do you fish or know the Fowey at all Norm?

Are you starting to dribble?

When i've bagged me first Mullet, i'll letcha know 'arold! ;)

Edited by Judley

Judley, i'm the same and want another one now!! Not much else about at present with "July" feeling more like November!!

I would think bread will still work, i've seen them caught in near zero viz on bread at 6ft deep or so, we do't have rivers here so nothing quite the same, might help to have some ground bait going in the swim as well and sometimes soaking the hookbait in the ground bait mix can help get some interest if they are searching by smell as well as sight.

Cheers for the tips FishingGuernsey. Guess what i'm doing this sunday? :lol:

Tight lines for your next Mullet session!

Edited by Judley

Cheers for that :) Do you fish for them on the bottom using bread?

Do you fish or know the Fowey at all Norm?

When i've bagged me first Mullet, i'll letcha know 'arold! ;)

:clap2: I have fished the Fowey and inshore there and I've caught some big mullet right by the wall where the boats come in to pick up and drop off anglers, probably where they clean their catch and chuck the waste in, fish certainly works better than bread there. :clap2:

It's all about what they expect to find I guess. I know a few guys who use a meat groundbait and small bits of meat on the hook and that works well for them. Yet to try it so don't blame me if it doesn't work!!

www.gbass.co.uk - The Guernsey Bass Anglers Sportfishing Society