Live bait fishing

christian kimber

I always hook live prawn and shrimp through the tail, as this keeps them alive a lot longer and seems to ensure a hook up on every strike.

Prawn and shrimp on a flowing trace about 3ft long.

From a structure I would use the same rig for sandeels, but from a boat, lengthen the trace up to 5 ft. long.

Small sandeels are just hooked through the lip, but larger ones have the hook passed through the lip and then lightly nicked under the skin, about half way along the back of the eel.

Can you explain a bit more about the rig/trace/attachment to mainline. Do you use any kind of weight to get the bait down or will it naturally swim down? Cheers

If you use live mackerel or scad for bass then you need to use a portland rig with a short (<5ft) trace as the bait tends to swim round and round in circles. Live sandeel aren't so bad, especially if there's a fair bit of tide to keep them to one side of the rig.

Barry - if you like using live macks for bass then use them for ling, they go mental for them. We've had them up to 22lb this week, plus bite-offs from bigger ones.

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

If you use live mackerel or scad for bass then you need to use a portland rig with a short (<5ft) trace as the bait tends to swim round and round in circles. Live sandeel aren't so bad, especially if there's a fair bit of tide to keep them to one side of the rig.

Barry - if you like using live macks for bass then use them for ling, they go mental for them. We've had them up to 22lb this week, plus bite-offs from bigger ones.

Never had the chance to catch a ling with live makerel, every time i use one i end up with a bloody bass. :whistling:

Seriously Torag, when the opportunity arrises i will definatly give that a go. What size trace was you using.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

13.6kg (30lb) clear amnesia. I would use something tougher and stronger but I'd never get any gear back if I snag up. Currently using 40 or 50lb braid I can break out of snags and only have to replace the hook or trace, thus saving at least a whole drift of fishing time. How deep are your bass wrecks, and are you fishing your mackerel hard onto the bottom?

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

13.6kg (30lb) clear amnesia. I would use something tougher and stronger but I'd never get any gear back if I snag up. Currently using 40 or 50lb braid I can break out of snags and only have to replace the hook or trace, thus saving at least a whole drift of fishing time. How deep are your bass wrecks, and are you fishing your mackerel hard onto the bottom?

Hi Torag. Most of my bassing using live mackerel is on the drift, this is why i haven't caught a ling with it, as it is normally bounced on the bottom, up and over the wreck. As you know just before the bass hit, the bait goes crazey. Most of mine is in deep water off weymouth and devon. 50m. If i was to try for the ling using your method, i would definatly use 100lb trace and fish it dragging bottom. All of my drifting, i use 20-30lb braid with a long leader. I only use a three way swivell, no boom or rotten bottom, just a tiny link for the lead. We have had success anchoring up from the wreck and again bounce the bait into the wreck with the tide, after about three times we would bring it up and away and do it again. I will be hopefully spending a week at this in devon in august and will let you know how i get on.

On a snag, we have discussed this before, if i have time on the drift, i might try to bounce it up and down, but i always point the rod if that don't work. Most times it comes out, some times i lose the lead or a hook, very rarely i would lose me leader, once out of say three trips, it works for me. I don't ever remember losing me braid but i have seen others lose it.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..