Advice for a beginner please

buckerlee

Hi,

I've recently started carp fishing. I've had little success using spam on the hook. I've just been and bought a hair rig and some boilies. I'm confused as to whether I need a float? Could somebody please explain how my set up should be?

Thanks

Hi,

There's a good description of a basic hair rig in action here;

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/Rig-Section/Ca.../Braid_rig.html

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Hi,

I've recently started carp fishing. I've had little success using spam on the hook. I've just been and bought a hair rig and some boilies. I'm confused as to whether I need a float? Could somebody please explain how my set up should be?

Thanks

Hi Buckerlee and welcome

Have you not got anybody down at your local lake to show or help you?? as it's sometimes better to be shown than try to explain on the forum. Not all other anglers bite, but there are some that won't give you the time of day,which is a shame if your new and starting out, and thats regardles of age.

Have a look through the rig section on the left hand menu on this page, some good advice and a good place to start.

Edited by trevor2003

Nothing against margin fishing with a hair-rigged boily under a float - the hair-rig is still an efficient hooker even without the bolt-effect of a semi-fixed setup. You just have to remember to strike when the float goes away. ;)

Thanks all.

I've asked a few people round the lakes I fish, but usually get the impression that they don't want to help. I'm sure I'll find some people willing to help at some point.

What part of the country do you live and where do you normaly fish, might be some one on here that can help, if they are local to you??

What part of the country do you live and where do you normaly fish, might be some one on here that can help, if they are local to you??

It's a shame nobody on your local lake will give you help/advice. I've come across folk like this too. They seem to forget they were newbies themselves once!

Do you have a mate who is more experienced who you can go along with perhaps? If not, ask at your local tackle shop. They're mostly knowledgable and keen to help (obviously cos you're buying tackle off them!).

Also, mags such as IYCF are helpful once you've grasped the basics.

Bleeping Alarms!

Hi,

Thanks

a good rig i tend to still use it's the more simple and very effective

depending on the size of the fish your catcing i use 18lb krystonite main line linked to lead core

with either a fixed weight or sliding weight to a 6-8" braid hooklink on a hair rig

here's a pic to best describe to you this is bang on exept no lead core, you use lead core to keep you link weighd down on the lake bed.

AAcarprig1.jpg

it then resulting in this

AAcarprig2.jpg

pictures courtesy of Anglers Net.

I`d avoid that rig mate!

The whole idea of a lead clip is that its securely fixed to the swivel so in the event of a mishap the lead has something to pull against to get dumped. With that rig all that`d happen is the clip, tail rubber and lead would go sliding off up the line and if there was any weed etc stuck on the line it`d trap the lot and potentially make a tether rig.

Its downright dangerous.

wolf.gif