Barbel - running leger lead link

klonker

Me too Davy, the last time I used anything near that weight, was fishing for cod off Flamborough.

Sorry klonker, I can't be much help on this one.

John.

Feels like you've got a good fish on every time you reel in :D

When the river is a bit lower and slower I can get away with a 2oz lead... just, anything else just ends up snagged in weed.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

just a thought, there's not much point in using these things if you're fishing a tight line coupled with a heavy quivertip or butt indicator. i've seen a lot of carpy types go to great lengths to get their rig as free running as possible and then fish with super tight lines :clap3:

Jack Pike Hunter Extraordinaire

just a thought, there's not much point in using these things if you're fishing a tight line coupled with a heavy quivertip or butt indicator. i've seen a lot of carpy types go to great lengths to get their rig as free running as possible and then fish with super tight lines :clap3:

I'm not a carpy type, more of a fly-fisher :) I'm genuinely interested in the rigs people use, and why. How would you rig-up for a deep fast and weedy swim? ......no jokes about Speedos please ;)

I'm not a carpy type, more of a fly-fisher :) I'm genuinely interested in the rigs people use, and why. How would you rig-up for a deep fast and weedy swim? ......no jokes about Speedos please ;)

hi klonker, in this situation, life becomes difficult and my main concern would be getting the bait in the right place and keeping it there. i wouldn't be too worried about a super free-running rig. indeed, it might not even be possible to achieve. i happen to fish a basic running lead for most of my bottom fishing, just because it's simple, effective and safe. in the type of swim you describe, i doubt it would make an ounce of difference whether the lead was running or fixed. probably not a consensus view, just my personal experience.

hi klonker, in this situation, life becomes difficult and my main concern would be getting the bait in the right place and keeping it there. i wouldn't be too worried about a super free-running rig. indeed, it might not even be possible to achieve. i happen to fish a basic running lead for most of my bottom fishing, just because it's simple, effective and safe. in the type of swim you describe, i doubt it would make an ounce of difference whether the lead was running or fixed. probably not a consensus view, just my personal experience.

There's quite a high chance of getting hung up on the weed and othre structure so a running leger with a weaker hook link gives assurance I wont tether a fish in that event... I suppose you could use one of those safety links?

Guest tigger

I fished the Ribble the other day and it was very high and flowing fast. I used a fixed rigg with a 3.5oz lead on a Korda clip and a hair rigg peice of meat.

It's the first time I've ever used a fixed rigg and was pleased with the result, I got three Barbs and they all hooked themselves in the lip. It seems like a good method.

There's quite a high chance of getting hung up on the weed and othre structure so a running leger with a weaker hook link gives assurance I wont tether a fish in that event... I suppose you could use one of those safety links?

yes to the weaker hook link and yes to a safety link, unless you mean safety clip which is used by carpy types to make fixed lead (bolt) set-ups safe, unless you now want a fixed lead set-up that is. confused yet? :)

yes to the weaker hook link and yes to a safety link, unless you mean safety clip which is used by carpy types to make fixed lead (bolt) set-ups safe, unless you now want a fixed lead set-up that is. confused yet? :)

So, I've been fishin' a gripper running on the main line (12lb) with a weaker hook link (10lb), a bead below the lead to guard the knot, and a float stopper about 12" up the main line. What would you call that.... a semi-bolt/semi-running rig? I'm guessing here, but having tightened down to the bead, with this setup I assume the fish hooks itself at the same time you detect the bite ? The 12" alows the fish to 'knock' the rod tip not the lead?

So, I've been fishin' a gripper running on the main line (12lb) with a weaker hook link (10lb), a bead below the lead to guard the knot, and a float stopper about 12" up the main line. What would you call that.... a semi-bolt/semi-running rig? I'm guessing here, but having tightened down to the bead, with this setup I assume the fish hooks itself at the same time you detect the bite ? The 12" alows the fish to 'knock' the rod tip not the lead?

i suppose that's a good description. i once saw it called a lazy man rig in a book. anyway, i agree in theory that the 12 inches will allow the fish to knock the rod tip rather than the lead. whether this actually happens or not, i don't know.

i suppose that's a good description. i once saw it called a lazy man rig in a book. anyway, i agree in theory that the 12 inches will allow the fish to knock the rod tip rather than the lead. whether this actually happens or not, i don't know.

The reason I have a length of line between the run ring and the weight is to allow the line to be pulled while not moving the weight. If you imagine how it looks under tension (casting downstream), the weight is downstream of the ring, so when a fish pulls downstream the line between the ring and weight becomes slack and the only tension is the quiver tip/bobbin. This also allows the fish to rise in the water a little without feeling the weight. Essential if you're after chub or perch, probably less so with barbel.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music