They must be joking!

Guest tigger

The barrels look sound as so long as they are well oxygenated. In fact the barrells are of a shape (no sharp corners) that should stop the fish from damaging themselves.

It's only like transporting fish from venue to venue.

The barrels look sound as so long as they are well oxygenated. In fact the barrells are of a shape (no sharp corners) that should stop the fish from damaging themselves.

It's only like transporting fish from venue to venue.

tigger,

the barrels are not oxygenated, in fact the organisers refuse to do so, claiming that the fish would be too frisky.

also those barrels are not nearly long enough, a good double would have to be folded into it, add to that the very small entrance and exit flap and the fact that as can be clearly seen in the picture there is no more than a couple of inches of water in it and i cannot honestly see how anyone can defend these as a method of retention, for anything up to five hours and more than one fish at a time.

As a example, three weeks ago a match was held on Lough Ennell using exactly the same barrels and on that match virtually ALL of the pike died, this is verified by a WI inspector, as these fish were due to be moved to another venue.

Also remember that these barrels are used to retain the pike till they are taken to a weigh station, up to 3 miles away!

The organisers turned down the opportunity for the local PAC branch to supply up to 14 boats with 28 stewards to make retention uneccessary.

Add to that that one of the organisers actually sells competitors the barrels. These guys have Pike welfare nowhere on the agenda, believe me, because I have been over there and met with them on these issues.

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

Guest tigger

Well if it's as you say (no oxygen etc) then your right it should be stopped and a more suitable method found.

Retaining pike for long periods in barrels with a few inches of water kills them - look at what's happened in competitions in Ireland in recent weeks, where large numbers of pike have died.

If that's not bad enough, the practise appears to be on the increase.

If you care about your pike fishing, join the club that campaigns to protect it and add your voice to the outcry over this.

www.pacgb.com

Retaining pike for long periods in barrels with a few inches of water kills them - look at what's happened in competitions in Ireland in recent weeks, where large numbers of pike have died.

If that's not bad enough, the practise appears to be on the increase.

If you care about your pike fishing, join the club that campaigns to protect it and add your voice to the outcry over this.

www.pacgb.com

HE DOESNT LOOK IN ALL THAT OFTEN BUDGIE, PAC FORUM WOULD PROBABLY BE A BETTER BET

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

HE DOESNT LOOK IN ALL THAT OFTEN BUDGIE, PAC FORUM WOULD PROBABLY BE A BETTER BET

Not on my own PC at moment so a bit limited to what sitesI can acsess (cant remember all of the sign in details!)

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!