ROACH FISHING HELP

georgenufc

hello i recently visited a local lake called wittle dean in northumberland hoping to catch a good bag of roach as it is one of the best roach still waters around my area. howether all i hooked was mainly perch and gudgion wif the odd nice roach evry so often. i was wandering what i could do if i wanted to catch more of these bigger roach and less of the smaller perch and such.

thanks in advance

p.s i was using basic wagler tactics and maggots

try using hemp loosefeed and casters and tares as hook baits, have the bait on a slow fall through the water by altering your shotting pattern, alternatively breadflake is a good hook bait as is small pellets.

hello i recently visited a local lake called wittle dean in northumberland hoping to catch a good bag of roach as it is one of the best roach still waters around my area. howether all i hooked was mainly perch and gudgion wif the odd nice roach evry so often. i was wandering what i could do if i wanted to catch more of these bigger roach and less of the smaller perch and such.

thanks in advance

What size are the roach? You could possibly try changing to sweetcorn, you'll probably get less bites but the average size will be bigger and perch won't take sweetcorn.

the fish are from about 4oz to about 1 and a halh pound. i will buy sum hemp for tomorow and give that ago. what would be the best flavour groundbait for roach on a big lake like this??

try a black type of groundbait or the dynamite baits range frenzied crushed hemp. and anything fishmealy

thanks in advance

if you want to catch roach only use bread.perch dont like bread so that should get rid of them for you.i find bread a good all year round roach bait. size 14 hook 2lb hooklength to about 3lb main line. use liquidized bread for feed and use bread for the hook.white bread works best for me.

Hi George.

Fish the Lower Resevoir,the second one you come to on the left of the road.Loose feed hemp a good pinch every cast (hope you have strong arms,your going to be casting and feeding every minute)and use a tare on size 16/14 wide gape hook.Fish the bank with the grainery/farm to your back so your facing the line of trees opposite and hopefully the wind from left to right(but you can`t have everything)You want a 3 1/2AAA waggler locked with 2 AAA + 1 BB+ (maybe 1 or 2 no.4 depending on the wind).The rest of the shot I use no8 Stotz spread in little bunches from half depth to 12/18 inches from the hook for your last dropper.

If your fishing around or before the first life belt you want to be at about 8/9 feet depth and 11 metres out(Plumb up and find the bottom).The further you walk past the life belt it gets deeper quickly and soon your looking at 13 feet min at 6 metres and getting deeper.But more chance of getting the bream too.

The bites can be hard to hit,make sure the Tare is fed round the bend and the barb clear,strike very late and quite hard.Yesterday I was lucky to hit 5 out 10 bites and then only maybe get 3 in the net.The wind makes it even harder as it`s nearly always blowing a gale across the place,but the fish feed better when its like this.Prepeare to be busy though it`s a bite every few seconds,I`ve had a 45lb net of Roach this year.Place fishes better in the afternoon in my opinion I generally go up after 2:30 on the half day ticket.

Edited by dogstick