Bristol channel Fishing

Turbo

Hello does anyone on the forum fish the Bristol Channel ? I have just returned from Cornwall where I caught my first fish from my "Caper Angler" . They were only mackerel but hooked me never the less.

I was thinking about launching from Blue Anchor near Minehead , when the weather settles (hopefully soon), on a neap tide, possibly two to three hours before high water returning on the top of the tide or shortly after. If memory serves me right there is a small slipway on the east side of the bay, and on neap tides not too much of a tidal pull. Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks Martin.

Hi Turbo

I used to paddle a Caper and soon found its limits after being caught out in F4+ winds & a reasonable tidal flow (almost daily conditions around the UK coastline!). I wouldn't fish the Bristol Channel in such a craft however if you're local to the area in time you may find spots where its safe to do so. In the meantime I'd stick to less challenging waters and build up your on water experience in more sheltered areas.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Thanks for the replies, your advice was noted.

Speciman, could you explain a little bit more about the limitations of the caper. It is my first kayak and obviously feels ok to me, but I want to be safe! Our thoughts were to fish just past the range of shore fisherman in the first instance and as you say get some safe fishing trips under our belt and increase our confidence in the kayaks. We have read the start up advice on the kayak fishing site and use all the safety equipment, thanks Martin.

Hi Martin

No problem.

I found the Caper to be a great kayak for fishing close inshore marks and being light and easy to car top makes for more last minute trips. The limitations I found are with distance and its ability to cope in wind and tide.

Its not a distance kayak nor is it claiming to be (more than a couple of miles and it can become hard going even in calm conditions). If you only plan to fish just outside beach casting distance in areas of weak tide then this is not a problem - however if you become bitten by the bug you may want to expand your horizons a bit and paddle a bit further to other marks in your area. You've asked about the Bristol Channel (eeeeek!) so you may be expanding your horizons already.

Against the tide (even a moderate one) I found the Caper a dog to paddle - against a force 4+ wind too and you could get into trouble - progress is very hard. The Caper just doesn't seem to have much glide to it - stop paddling and it doesn't take long for the kayak to slow right down. At one point I had a trolling motor on my Caper and had to tow Zzippy (who also had a Caper at the time) from an area where the current was 'strongish' to get him out of the worst of it. In comparision I was over the same mark last week in something more suited to this faster water (a Dorado) and was quite happily filling my fish box with mackeral whilst holding the kayak in the tide. Could not have done that in the Caper which would have been too much hard work.

I'd have another short kayak to compliment the one I have although for where I usually paddle I know the faster/more efficient one will come out with me more.

I think the best advice I can give is to spend time gaining experience fishing from your Caper in calm sheltered waters. Its a good boat for what its designed for - just be aware if your trips become more challenging another model may be more suitable.

Simon

Edited by SpeciMan
Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

• 4 weeks later...

Speciman, sorry for the long wait in replying its been hectic. Thought I should mention , I went for a paddle on the weekend with a friend (he was in the perception freedom angler) up through the floating harbour onto the Bristol Avon to the first lock about 6 miles one way. Caper v Freedom was no contest he was flying even into the head wind whilst I was struggling to keep up !! I now know what you mean by its limitations !! However it is nice and stable with plenty of storage, and not too long so I will keep with it until I can afford another ! Thanks for the advice Martin.

Are all short boats like this?

yes they are :thumbs:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

I'm also tempted to have a go in the upper Bristol channel but am very wary of the fierce currents.

The tidal diamonds on my admiralty chart show a maximum spring tide of 4.2 knots off Weston Super Mare bay and 3.0 off Blue Anchor.

My question is how much less tide (if any )would there be within the shelter of the bay itself ( say two hundred yards off beach)

PS Turbo did you put out any lures when you were cruising up the Avon ? ( Its full of pike / chub !)

I don't know the area, but if you have a GPS and drift the bay when there is no wind you will have an idea of the tidal flow. Does the admiralty chart show the current speed for neap tides too? My chart software shows daily tidal current speeds but not for your area. I wouldn't consider anchoring in stronger currents without a quick release anchor which you can paddle back to once the current has eased - there are a few marks local to me I want to fish this summer but I'm probably going to have to wait for the neap tides to come around again (hope the weather stays the same). Stronger current means more lead and heavier gear if you want to hold bottom.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow