SHIMANO BOAT ROD RINGS

muddler6

Has any body out there had problems with the rings on there SHIMANO BEASTMASTER S.T.C BOAT ROD as i have only had mine out three times and there is a lot of corrosion on the chrome (before any body asks i always give my gear a good fresh water wash before i stow them) but worst of all the ceramic type material on a number of rigs as chipped the tip ring is the worst for this.So i will replace them i would grateful for any suggestions on the best rings to use.

Guest sandpipper

Hi its a sad fact that the rods we pay a lot of money for are not up to do the job there supposed to do i`ll correct myself the rods are a lot better than say 20 years ago but the fittings are the problem, ive whipped hundreds of rods over the years and used to repair rods and reels for lots of shops here in southampton and romsey, and have noticed that rods and reels sell better if they look nice and shiney and to be honest id be the same but the simple fact is the rings do not last so a few months later your taking your rod back to the shop to get some Fuji`s put on that dont look as pretty. as for your rod get some new eyes asap because as soon as your line goes through the the chipped edges it will cut the line like knife through butter . Tony

Has any body out there had problems with the rings on there SHIMANO BEASTMASTER S.T.C BOAT ROD as i have only had mine out three times and there is a lot of corrosion on the chrome (before any body asks i always give my gear a good fresh water wash before i stow them) but worst of all the ceramic type material on a number of rigs as chipped the tip ring is the worst for this.So i will replace them i would grateful for any suggestions on the best rings to use.

Thanks Tony I will not risk useing the rod again untill have replaced the rings, I was thinking of puting a roller tip ring on will this be ok for braid ? allso will i be able to remove the old one with an hot air gun ?

muddler6

I have similar problems with a Penn Powerstix boat rod.

Used for a month in the Andaman Islands, washed in fresh water and oiled but now rapidly corroding.

I wouldn't mind that there is so much Epoxy on the rod that replacing the rings is totally impractical.

Edit: I've always used a lighter for removing tip rings. A quick run over the metal sleave with the flame (being careful not to heat the blank), drop the lighter and grab the ring in a teatowel and twist and pull. A heat gun is going to be slow and imprecice and risks damaging the blank.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Hi muddler6, I would replace all the guides with Fuji's. I know they are expensive and this is why they are not fitted to most rods. Quality comes at a price. Veal's Spring catalogue has pics. of Fuji boat rod guides, spinning and beachcaster guides. Forget the roller tip guide and fit a matching tip guide,it will look better anyhow.

Most roller guides are unsuitable for braid as it gets caught between the roller and the guide frame. Agree with Ken L, use a lighter to soften the tip guide adhesive and good luck with removing the epoxy which can be very time consuming.

Safety habits last a lifetime.

Hi muddler6, I would replace all the guides with Fuji's. I know they are expensive and this is why they are not fitted to most rods. Quality comes at a price. Veal's Spring catalogue has pics. of Fuji boat rod guides, spinning and beachcaster guides. Forget the roller tip guide and fit a matching tip guide,it will look better anyhow.

Most roller guides are unsuitable for braid as it gets caught between the roller and the guide frame. Agree with Ken L, use a lighter to soften the tip guide adhesive and good luck with removing the epoxy which can be very time consuming.

:clap2: If the rod has been built properly the tip rig will be stuck on with hot melt glue instead of epoxy. which will make it easier to remove. :clap2:

B)-->

QUOTE(Norm B @ Jul 27 2007, 05:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
:clap2: If the rod has been built properly the tip rig will be stuck on with hot melt glue instead of epoxy. which will make it easier to remove. :clap2:

Hi muddler6, the epoxy which I was referring to is that which has been applied to the whippings on the rod guides to give the product a nice finish.

Safety habits last a lifetime.

B)-->

QUOTE(Norm B @ Jul 27 2007, 05:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for all the tips guys, i have removed the tip ring with the lighter technique (no problem),the other rings i have been removing one at a time (i expect it will take me a few days) with a swiss file.

muddler6

thanks i have orderd some new rings from Veals it came to about £30 .