Help to Save the Cambridgeshire Lodes (drains)

mark barrett

Hi All

The Cambridgeshire Lodes are once again under threat! These historic waterways, probably of Roman origin are in a "new" plan by the National Trust to extend the Wetlands of Wicken Fen. This will involve lowering the Lodes, thus transforming them into internal drainage ditches.

We successfully fought this issue 30 years ago. This is completely unacceptable for all anglers.

The Lodes hold specimen fish of all species and are ideal waters on which to teach youngsters. These small waters have special memories for many of us and must NOT BE destroyed.

I urge all anglers to support this cause by signing the online "DON'T DITCH OUR LODES" E-petition to No.10 Downing Street, using the link below:

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/OurLODES/

and reads as follows:

"We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to ensure that the Cambridgeshire Lodes don't get ditched!

Some 30 years ago, a successful campaign was waged to save The Cambridgeshire Lodes, ancient canals of probable Roman origin - principally Bottisham, Swaffham Bulbeck, Reach, Burwell and Wicken Lodes - which were threatened by the then authorities. A decision was made to maintain and to preserve The Lodes. Such is the situation today: The Lodes have been maintained and preserved. But new documents indicate that The Environment Agency has commissioned a 'scoping report' costing some £200,000 and that it is looking critically at The Lodes, an option again being that of converting all or some of them into ditches. The old campaign slogan - 'Don't Ditch Our Lodes!' - is just as relevant now as it was in the 1970s. A new factor is The National Trust's plans to buy up and partially to flood some 10,000 acres of rich fen land and the Trust says that 'lowering' some of The Lodes would be 'acceptable.' Lowering is much the same as ditching. The Swaffham Internal Drainage Board and Swaffham Prior Parish Council support The Lodes being maintained. But the Philistines could be triumphant if their opponents are inactive. So, this is a call to those with influence to use it!"

My friend, Geoffrey Woollard, a retired County and District Councillor, is coordinating opposition to this plan, but we need help from as many anglers as possible.

WE URGENTLY NEED AS MANY ANGLERS AS POSSIBLE TO OPPOSE THIS PLAN QUICKLY.

The Lower Great Ouse and Fenland Fisheries Consultative Committee, on which I serve, are to oppose this at the highest level.

Chris, Press Release etc. would be important as discussed.

Dave, can something go on the PAC Website.

Mark, can you sort something out for the P/Predator Forum, and Carp Anglers you know who fish the Lodes.

Neville, an entry in the PAC magazine.

I thank everyone in anticipation.

Denis Moules

PAC Liaison Officer, Anglian Region

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

I am more than willing to oppose loosing the lodes Mark, but first, what is the purpose of flooding wicken fen? Is there any where to see the national trust plans in detail with reasons for their plans?

Thanks.

i imagine its on their website.

the reason for flooding it is to make it bigger. thats all.

Mark Barrett

Would it not be benificial for the Pike ?

100 year vision

The Proposal

The National Trust is proposing to acquire up to 3700 ha. of farmland to the south of Wicken Fen over the next 100 years thus extending the wetland to provide new and exciting benefits for people and wildlife.

The land is currently owned by around 120 individuals and acquisitions can only proceed with their approval - the National Trust has no powers of compulsory purchase.

Much of the project involves the acquisition of land but it is also possible that agreements with existing local landowners, particularly around the fringes of the area can be set up which will still enable the aims and objectives of the project to be met. It is also envisaged that an access / recreation corridor can be set up at the southern end of the reserve to join the reserve to the centre of Cambridge thus enabling the new area to become the 'green lung' for the city.

The area which is shown in Map 1 is divided into a number of hydrological units by the Lodes and drainage ditches and therefore piecemeal restoration of the landscape to various types of habitat can occur without the need to own the entire area.

The whole of the proposed new reserve lies within the boundaries of the Swaffham Internal Drainage Board. The wetlands of the area would be restored by a combination of natural regeneration and the raising of water levels via a reduction in drainage pumping and the use of sluices.

It should also be noted that the raising of water levels in one area can only occur if it does not have a detrimental impact on adjacent land or dwellings.

In the first instance the National Trust is attempting to acquire land within the vicinity of the existing reserve and restoring it for the benefit of wildlife and people.

Unlike Wicken Fen today which is managed very intensively using traditional techniques the aim for the restored land is to manage it much more extensively using herds of grazing animals as well as growing 'green crops' such as reeds and bio fuel.

In parallel with the habitat restoration aspects of the project numerous new recreational features will be developed to allow local people, the residents of Cambridge and visitors from further afield to access and enjoy the area. Such features will include new footpaths, cycle tracks, horse trails and boating opportunities as well as more formal recreational facilities such as play grounds and potentially even sporting areas. The exact type of facilities provided will be developed following extensive consultation with local people and organisations.

If this ambitious project is to proceed the National Trust will have to work in partnership with many different and diverse organisations and individuals. Development of partnerships forms the centre piece of the approach to implementing these ideas. As a result a large amount of time and effort is being devoted to establish these vital links.

Vision Newsletters

Would it not be benificial for the Pike ?

100 year vision

The Proposal

The National Trust is proposing to acquire up to 3700 ha. of farmland to the south of Wicken Fen over the next 100 years thus extending the wetland to provide new and exciting benefits for people and wildlife.

The land is currently owned by around 120 individuals and acquisitions can only proceed with their approval - the National Trust has no powers of compulsory purchase.

Much of the project involves the acquisition of land but it is also possible that agreements with existing local landowners, particularly around the fringes of the area can be set up which will still enable the aims and objectives of the project to be met. It is also envisaged that an access / recreation corridor can be set up at the southern end of the reserve to join the reserve to the centre of Cambridge thus enabling the new area to become the 'green lung' for the city.

The area which is shown in Map 1 is divided into a number of hydrological units by the Lodes and drainage ditches and therefore piecemeal restoration of the landscape to various types of habitat can occur without the need to own the entire area.

The whole of the proposed new reserve lies within the boundaries of the Swaffham Internal Drainage Board. The wetlands of the area would be restored by a combination of natural regeneration and the raising of water levels via a reduction in drainage pumping and the use of sluices.

It should also be noted that the raising of water levels in one area can only occur if it does not have a detrimental impact on adjacent land or dwellings.

In the first instance the National Trust is attempting to acquire land within the vicinity of the existing reserve and restoring it for the benefit of wildlife and people.

Unlike Wicken Fen today which is managed very intensively using traditional techniques the aim for the restored land is to manage it much more extensively using herds of grazing animals as well as growing 'green crops' such as reeds and bio fuel.

In parallel with the habitat restoration aspects of the project numerous new recreational features will be developed to allow local people, the residents of Cambridge and visitors from further afield to access and enjoy the area. Such features will include new footpaths, cycle tracks, horse trails and boating opportunities as well as more formal recreational facilities such as play grounds and potentially even sporting areas. The exact type of facilities provided will be developed following extensive consultation with local people and organisations.

If this ambitious project is to proceed the National Trust will have to work in partnership with many different and diverse organisations and individuals. Development of partnerships forms the centre piece of the approach to implementing these ideas. As a result a large amount of time and effort is being devoted to establish these vital links.

Vision Newsletters

no offence mate, but do you know what a proper fen looks like?

its inches deep and pretty stagnant as far as supporting fish goes

Mark Barrett

Whittlesey Mere used to be like that and it was one of the richest fisheries in the country. One of the biggest English pike on record was supposedly pulled from there when it was being drained. Personally, I think it will make a wonderful environment compared to the vast tracts of arable farmland that are there at present.

Whenever I have been to Wicken Fen, I have never seen any fish in the drains at all, but the shallow lakes that are supposed to show what the Fens once looked like seem to be stuffed full of fish.

Edited by Peter Sharpe

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Whittlesey Mere used to be like that and it was one of the richest fisheries in the country. One of the biggest English pike on record was supposedly pulled from there when it was being drained. Personally, I think it will make a wonderful environment compared to the vast tracts of arable farmland that are there at present.

Whenever I have been to Wicken Fen, I have never seen any fish in the drains at all, but the shallow lakes that are supposed to show what the Fens once looked like seem to be stuffed full of fish.

Peter

from the area that you are talking about.

thats just a fraction of the fish species in those loads. There are Rudd, Bream, roach, tench, Gudgeon, Pike, Perch, Zander, Bitterling, Gudgeon and eels. Do you think those will do well in an inch or two of water?

Whittlesey mere, was just that a mere. it may have resembled a fen in its later life, but it was a lake. I say again do you expect anything to do well in an inch or two of water?

21.04lil.jpg

2.15lil.jpg

3.03lil.jpg

23carplil.jpg

Mark Barrett

I was puzzled about why they have to turn the lodes into ditches if they are planning to flood the area. That doesn't seem to make any sense at all. I must admit that I haven't seen any watercourses anywhere near the size of those in the background of your photos.

They are planning a similar exercise on Baston and Langtoft Fens, which are almost on my doorstep. I must admit I am quite looking forward to seeing those turned into a huge wildlife habitat, as it is quite barren at the moment, apart from the small nature reserves which have been created to replicate the old fens in miniature.

I now realise that I am confusing Wicken Fen with Holme Fen http://www.greatfen.org.uk/visit-holme.php which might explain why I didn't see any fish in the drains around there :) The shallow lakes are absolutely heaving with rudd though. Another place where the rudd boil on the surface like ravenous pirhana is in the very shallow, reedy ponds at Titchmarsh bird reserve, where I think they first stocked a few to feed the bitterns. It does seem a bit pointless at Wicken though, where there is obviously an existing wildlife habitat. I'm all for returning reclaimed agricultural land to nature, but only if it is currently a bit of an agri-desert.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Historically the fens were marsh land and as Mark notes, shallow and not suitable for larger fish except in the deeper natural channels that were hard to locate unless you were very familiar with the area..

From what I read here, if the plan is to cease draining water from the area as they now do to provide dry land for farming, it would seem that you would go from drains and dry land to marsh land with deeper channels where you now have drains.

That would seem good for fish, birds, and other wildlife that enjoys marshy areas.

Except for anglers having to work harder to find fish, where is the downside?

Mark - if I am missing some critical point, please explain because if I missed it then some others will as well and you'll get more support if the angling situation is clear.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Historically the fens were marsh land and as Mark notes, shallow and not suitable for larger fish except in the deeper natural channels that were hard to locate unless you were very familiar with the area..

From what I read here, if the plan is to cease draining water from the area as they now do to provide dry land for farming, it would seem that you would go from drains and dry land to marsh land with deeper channels where you now have drains.

That would seem good for fish, birds, and other wildlife that enjoys marshy areas.

Except for anglers having to work harder to find fish, where is the downside?

Mark - if I am missing some critical point, please explain because if I missed it then some others will as well and you'll get more support if the angling situation is clear.

the critical point that you are missing newt is that

A. local people do not want this

B the lodes themselves are two feet higher than the surrounding fen, to create the fen, the lodes will be dropped. they are no more than 3 feet deep now afyer this drainage and drop they will basically cease to be.

Mark Barrett