Bird Identification Help

A friend in the Northern central portion of the US photographed a bird she had never seen before and has not been able to identify. Hopefully one of our birder experts can help. Here is the description and a couple of (could be clearer) photos.

It was bigger than a robin and it wasn't afraid of me, so I think maybe it was a youngster, even though it was rather large.

the spots on the wings are yellow, the breast orange-yellow, with white streaks on the side of the head and a yellow streak on the top of the head. It didn't seem interested in the smaller seeds, just the peanuts and sunflower seeds.

bird-1a.jpg

bird-2a.jpg

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

First year Black-headed grosbeak. Found mainly in the west, but migrate east for winter, This one is early !

White spots on wings characteristic of first fall. The adults are a bit different

• Like 1

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Part of the cardinal family (Cardinalidae) of the Americas, I've only ever seen a Male Rose-breasted Grosbeak , a really handsome bird.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Thanks for that.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Susan also says thanks for that bird ID. In return she sent me a photo of a nice fish that was caught up her way recently. Has me drooling.

musky.jpg

Susan also says thanks for that bird ID. In return she sent me a photo of a nice fish that was caught up her way recently. Has me drooling.

Cracking Muskie!

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Indeed. :fishing1: