malibu2 have i made a boob?

baldycoup

hello all, ive just joined after reading loads of the posts. im sure i,ll pick up the general mores of the site eventually but for now i,ll just jump right in.

initially and foremostly i wanted to see if anyone owned a malibu 2 open top kayak? ive just bought one for touring ,island hopping,and sea fishing.

as i intend to go fishing with my son,friend and g/friend id like to hear your views on wether ive bought the right kayak or have i been a right muppet lol.

i live in n.ireland by the way and the waters always bl**dy cold! so id appreciate some pointers towards trousers and cags too please .

also , do people really go out at night ??? in the dark???to catch conger from a kayak??? lol sounds like mental fun ! how do i get started.....

You need to do your homework first mate, there are loads of similar posts to yours on here already

use the search function

The malibu 2 is ideal for 2 people but hard work if just 1

Read up and then ask the questions and people are more than willing to help

welcome to the forum :)

OK Prowler 13 Angler - Yellow

Species Hunt: Bass, Bream, Bull Huss, Coalfish, Dogfish, Flounder, Grey Gurnard, Mackerel,

Pike, Pollack, Pouting, Whiting

Previous kayaks:

OK Drifter Angler

Cool Otter Impulse

hi baldycoup

i've got a malibu 2 and a prowler13, yes as the other guy said hard work on your own, but not really that bad, i have paddled mine about 5 miles round trip and that was knackering, if you are doing 2 up then you will have got a great kayak, really stable, i've been drift fishing and had waves come over the side with no problem,i've never even come close to tipping it, only problem with it is that it is more difficult to rig for fishing, best to do what i did and get a plastic box and rig it with plastic piping for rod holders and then bungee clip it to seat holder brackets, works for me, and you then havent devalued your kak with drill holes every where!!!!!!.

another thing is get a decent paddle this will make a huge difference, i did'nt realise how much until we went out yesterday i had the double with my wife and my daughter had the prowler with my decent paddle, i used my cheap day trippers(not used them for ages) what a difference!!!!, i was glad to swop when my daughter got on with her mum.

have fun and you havent done the wrong thing with the malibu 2 far from it, what you will probaly find is that once the bug takes hold you will want decent singles.

i'll also tell you what i wear, i use a wetsuit when the weather is warm and for autumn and winter i use neoprene waders with a dry top, there have been a few posts about the supposed dangers of using waders, all i can say is i have tried mine by falling out and getting back on board no problems at all, if your water is very cold then i would maybe save up for the dry suit and join the power ranger clan :rolleyes:

cheers

jon

ps

as s2vto has said do some searches , there is a wealth of information on this site

hi and thanks for the welcome validation of my choice.

think i was just keen to speak to someone who owned one for a little reassurance lol.

ive spent the day collecting a dagger approach kayak for my friend since he has no roof bars.originally i was going to buy one too untill i saw the sit on top type ans realised that it would tick all the boxes i wanted it for- peacefull paddling on the big lakes over here, exploring the coast and fishing inexcessable areas,and generally enjoying floating about!

so ive had to listen to him waffle on about how i,ll get wet if it rains and other nonsense justifications. lol i cant wait to see his face when he sees what hes missing out on...the comfort,the storage,the stability,the sitting sideways thing and the fact that i can take my 16yr old son and 14 yr old daughter with me while his kids can only watch from the shore ( untill i take them on mine as well)

so ive bought my neoprene long johns,boots and bouancy aid and i think i,ll get away with a gortex jacket. all i need is for it to arrive tomorrow for some fun fun fun lol...........or should i have bought a closed in kayak............NOT! lol

each to their own though ,just hope he aint toooooo sick lol lol.

2 friends of mine both use malibu 2 kayaks. Both catch good fish!

The advantage you will have is taking out newbies / family / friends etc. Watching someone else catch their first fish is just as exciting as fishing yourself.

Also more than anything the double sitons seem to hold their 2nd hand value. We have a Cobra Tandem that I use for taking out friends and family. Would never part with it.

Post back your catch report ;>)

well yesterday was a complete joy i gotta say!

my g/friend and i spent all day on castlewellan lake here in n.ireland. we got some strange looks i gotta say though from the standard kayak and canoe guys- i dont think they`d seen a sit on top before.

there were a couple of guys flyfishing from a boat quite close to us, and the trout were jumping all around. pity i hadnt brought my gear !!

it was fantastic just sitting anchored up in the sunshine laying right back with a nice big sarnie and cuppa tea!

next time its the ocean,over some fishing spots i could never reach with my beachcaster!

happy happy joy joy !

ps, what paddle would you recommend to upgrade to? i have a couple of day trippers but i think i need something a little meatier to move more water.???

well yesterday was a complete joy i gotta say!

my g/friend and i spent all day on castlewellan lake here in n.ireland. we got some strange looks i gotta say though from the standard kayak and canoe guys- i dont think they`d seen a sit on top before.

there were a couple of guys flyfishing from a boat quite close to us, and the trout were jumping all around. pity i hadnt brought my gear !!

it was fantastic just sitting anchored up in the sunshine laying right back with a nice big sarnie and cuppa tea!

next time its the ocean,over some fishing spots i could never reach with my beachcaster!

happy happy joy joy !

ps, what paddle would you recommend to upgrade to? i have a couple of day trippers but i think i need something a little meatier to move more water.???

Sounds like a great day out