What Lochs will produce a 30 lb pike

happymondays

Hi further to a recent post i was intending to fish a loch in scotland, i was hoping to fish a water that would give me the chance to hook into a 20+ or even a 30lb pike. I had looked at Loch Lomond but thanks to a reply i got and further searches i found that maybe this wasnt to be.

I have serached for a while on this but sometimes the net as great as it is sometimes can be a mindfield, and its places like this that can make trips worthwhile, I am planning a weeks holiday around this and would just love any places you have fished or know of, any help would be great..

Pike anglers don't like to advertise where big pike are. Partly self-interest but also waters can soon get ruined by angling pressure. Pike are fragile at the best of times. There are obviously lots of legendary waters like Llangdegfed (sp?) in Wales etc but naming specific waters can do more harm than good.

No offence intended. Just advising that you might not get a lot of replies. Then again, you might get loads! I don't know.

The best time to fish is when you have a chance.

Pike anglers don't like to advertise where big pike are. Partly self-interest but also waters can soon get ruined by angling pressure. Pike are fragile at the best of times. There are obviously lots of legendary waters like Llangdegfed (sp?) in Wales etc but naming specific waters can do more harm than good.

No offence intended. Just advising that you might not get a lot of replies. Then again, you might get loads! I don't know.

Hi bingo sorry didnt realise i was being so blatant as to ask for a water that has big pike so that every man and his dog can turn up at the displayed water when they probably have found it online any way. I might be naive but when you fish a lake that has some big pike then someone that owns the lake or loch weather it be trust or private then they advertise it cause it generates there funding. I was asking for some lochs not G.P.S. cooridinates as to were the best swims were, looks like i will have to do my own searching. I thought this was a forum for people who love fishing to share there experiences not to die with them?

Hi bingo sorry didnt realise i was being so blatant as to ask for a water that has big pike so that every man and his dog can turn up at the displayed water when they probably have found it online any way. I might be naive but when you fish a lake that has some big pike then someone that owns the lake or loch weather it be trust or private then they advertise it cause it generates there funding. I was asking for some lochs not G.P.S. cooridinates as to were the best swims were, looks like i will have to do my own searching. I thought this was a forum for people who love fishing to share there experiences not to die with them?

trouble is mate, if you put it up on here, then literally thousands of anglers can get access to it. if you really want the chance of a thirty why not join the PAC and apply for the priviledged access days on lochs fad, vencher and the lake of menteith, all proven thirties waters.

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

Wish I could tell you a Loch where you could go and catch some 20's and 30's just like that! do you normally fish for carp by any chance? :rolleyes:

Have a look on the PAAS and PAC pages. I found them a wealth of info, but as said before pike anglers are a secretive bunch, and even if you do join a group dont expect to be given info until you have proved yourself. Looking in the PAC web site (need to search around) you will find pictures of 40lb+ Pike and the area where they were caught.

Loch Awe and some of the Lochs around Dumfries/Castle Douglas Loch Ken, and very good possibles for 20lb+.

As for the Lochs mentioned any Piker in Scotland would probably suggest the two named lochs.

All the best and tight lines M8.

I was asking for some lochs not G.P.S. cooridinates as to were the best swims were, looks like i will have to do my own searching. I thought this was a forum for people who love fishing to share there experiences not to die with them?

Yes I see your point. I wasn't trying to be unhelpful, just trying to let you know that pike fishing is a secretive world and that you might not get lots of help. It's not because we're unhelpful (well actually, that's part of it!), but it's also that pike fishing is a bit different to carp fishing. No stocked fish, very few 'known' fish with nicknames etc. Well, not that I know of anyway!

Sorry for sounding patronising. I'm sure you're aware of this anyway. I appreciate that the Lochs are huge and not the same as a 4 acre lake but I've never fished in Scotland so can't help you.

Hope you have a nice trip. I'd love to try it one day.

The best time to fish is when you have a chance.