HELP PLEASE

JamesS

Hi im going spain on wednesday and i want to try sea fishing - ive been there before but never fished

I have a rod tht is strong enough for it

I would like to know

What bait you use

What Colour lure you use

How you set it up

What weights you use

Basically i need as much help as i can get before tuesday because i can buy what i need then

I think all i need is a lure, a sea float and some hooks, but im not sure what bait you use and how to set a sea float up and a lure

PLEASE HELP ME

Thanks

James

P.S I am going to be fishing off the beach at when nobodys there

and im not going to be there on my own

went to mallorca the other day i had a small float size 16 hook nd a loaf of bread i caught loads of fish thry that

dont be too dissapointed when you dont catch a fish after its not called catching its called fishing! :D

hi james,you say you havent sea fished?

presumably you have done a bit of coarse fishing, if so i would take a light float rod,waggler floats,shot and hooks between 16 and 10.

try making up some paste, you can flavour it with some tinned sardines from a supermarket,works well.

if you set up like you would for roach, with the bait just off the bottom,you can catch all sorts.

i would keep out of any marina that is there,(most of them dont allow fishing) and stick to rocky areas that you normally find at the ends of beaches.

most of the beaches ban fishing within 200m of bathers, and in august you will draw attention to yourself like a magnet if you stand in the middle of a load of swimmers trying to cast to the horizon!!

i presume you havent sorted a licence out? in which case i would definatly stick to the rocky zones, where you should be left in peace.

try and find an area that has water at least 5 or 6 metres deep nearby,and you could catch varied small bream, mullet, and what the spanish call salpa, a slim bream shaped fish which go to about a kilo, are very common and fight harder than mullet.

you cant mis them, they have yellow stripes and tail!.

have a good time, shame you didnt post before, people are generally very helpful on here,you would have got more info.

oh......just a thought put you reel(s) and fishing line in your case not hand luggage, ive heard of problems at airports with line in hand luggage!

have fun!

Yes thanks,

Thats why im going at night time well not night just when everyones gone from the beach.

I have been coarse fishing and i go every week

Thought it would be a change to fish in spain , on the beach than in england in a lake :-)

Shouldnt i use bigger hooks like size 4 or something ??

When you say licence, do you mean a rod licence ?

WIll i need to bring my english one ?

And what do i do with a lure because as it will be getting dark im not sure ill see a sea float and tbh i havent got that much cash so would a lure be the cheapest option ?

Yes thanks,

Thats why im going at night time well not night just when everyones gone from the beach.

I have been coarse fishing and i go every week

Thought it would be a change to fish in spain , on the beach than in england in a lake :-)

Shouldnt i use bigger hooks like size 4 or something ??

When you say licence, do you mean a rod licence ?

WIll i need to bring my english one ?

And what do i do with a lure because as it will be getting dark im not sure ill see a sea float and tbh i havent got that much cash so would a lure be the cheapest option ?

hi james, just bring some of your coarse gear as ive suggested.your uk licence wont be much use here im afraid.

if you want to try a bit of lure fishing, great...but again the rocky areas will be better, and dawn and dusk are the best times.

strongly suggest you stay away from the tourist beaches though,you will be fine if you keep to the rocky zones,at the ends of them though.

James

Which Calella are you going to Calella Costa or Calella de Palafrugell, I have fished the latter on a few occassions.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

James, fishing in the Med is just like freshwater fishing in this country. You need fine tackle and it helps to feed the swim just like you would coarse fishing. Bread paste works OK if you mix fish into it, or small pieces of fish. I find plain bread just attracts very small fish, unless you are after mullet. Because there is no tide you can't get "proper" baits like worms unless you buy them at a tackle shop.

You are supposed to have a local licence for sea fishing as well as freshwater fishing, but you are unlikely to get checked if you are on rocks well away from civilisation. (The licence is actually very cheap but for some reason the Spanish make it ridiculously difficult for a tourist to get one.)

Don't expect the beaches to be quiet in the evenings, a lot of the locals prefer to swim after the sun has gone down.

PS. don't forget, if it's a long way to the end of the beach you can usually catch a bus!

Edited by ColinW