Trolling from a kayak

JRT

3-4 knots is a good cruising speed for a sit on top kayak - I'd say this came in the medium to fast paddle rate which you can maintain for any length of time - of course this is dependent on the model of kayak and the person paddling it. I think I troll about 3knots.

I prefer trolling with front mounted rods, with the tips pointing down reducing windage and the need to have extra line out if you were trolling with the tips high.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

3-4 knots is a good cruising speed for a sit on top kayak - I'd say this came in the medium to fast paddle rate which you can maintain for any length of time - of course this is dependent on the model of kayak and the person paddling it. I think I troll about 3knots.

I prefer trolling with front mounted rods, with the tips pointing down reducing windage and the need to have extra line out if you were trolling with the tips high.

Dumb question Speciman :2: , but with the rods mounted forward and down does this not get in the way of your paddle stroke or are you using long rods?

Nemo

Nemo,

Perception Freedom Angler

Hi Nemo

Its a good question.

I have the rods mounted on the fish hatch of my Dorado so this configuration works well here - the rods do not get in the way of my paddle stroke. I'll post a pic up at some point showing this. My rods are on the short side being 6ft 6". For your own kayak you may have to position the forward holders in a different area - on the Scupper Pro I had a RAM2000 rod holder fitted near the beginning of the foot well - however on that kayak I preferred to troll using my ram tubes at the back as the front holders were a bit too far forward. Richi uses rod holders mounted up mid to front cockpit on the gunwales - not sure if he angles them down when trolling although he can troll with the rod tips facing forwards.

Edited by SpeciMan
Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Not a very helpful reply, I'm sure, but it depends on what type of lure you're trolling in my view. I am led to believe that every lure has a retrieve / troll rate which gives it optimum action. I rely on trial and error, but troll between 2 and 4 knots generally. 'Gills slower, plugs quicker as a rule.

I also use rod mounted up front, and find it doesn't interfere with paddling strokes. I find that you really need to keep an eye on the tod tip to ensure lure is working correctly / not fouled and to respond quickly to takes.

Happy trolling.

Simon, how do you keep the line away from the paddle arc ? especially with a short rod, also can you not only turn one way? presumably the rod is at right angles to the Yak.

2006 Launches: 8

2006 Species: 5

2007 Species: 19

2007 Launches: 42

2008 Species: 21

2008 Launches: 51

2009 Species: 24

2009 Launches: 47

2010 Launches 35

2010 Species 25

2011 Launches 23

2011 Species 20

When I paddle, the paddle enters the water near my foot alongside the kayak and exits by my waist. Not sure of the angle, the rod is not 90 degrees probably more like 70. The line is close to the paddle arc so I have to be careful not to touch it. The rudder helps turning - will pay more attention to what I'm doing next time I'm trolling to see exactly how its setup. The reel is mounted about a foot back from my feet, so the rod is a bit forward already. My kayak has a narrow beam for a sit on top (moreso at bow and stern) so this probably helps with clearance.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

I dont think there is such a thing as an ideal trolling speed, each lure differs from the next at the same trolling speed. Some work best fast others slow, every day fishing also differs, there are times when the fish refuse to play unless the lure is at the right speed, the problem is what is that speed.

If I knew what it was, I would "bag up"every time and would certainly not let my secret out on this or any other forum :nono: , the thing is, I don't, so I can't :D

The only thing you can do is try differant lures, of differant colours, at differant depths and differant speeds, hoping to catch a fish or two. :fishing:

Bb

When I paddle, the paddle enters the water near my foot alongside the kayak and exits by my waist. Not sure of the angle, the rod is not 90 degrees probably more like 70. The line is close to the paddle arc so I have to be careful not to touch it. The rudder helps turning - will pay more attention to what I'm doing next time I'm trolling to see exactly how its setup. The reel is mounted about a foot back from my feet, so the rod is a bit forward already. My kayak has a narrow beam for a sit on top (moreso at bow and stern) so this probably helps with clearance.

Thanks Simon, up to now I've always trolled from the rear deck mounts, quite often miss when something is on unless big. I'll try my front gunwale mount set sideways as you suggest next time out.

Regards trolling speed, reckon it's a good plan to vary it, stop and start, a constant mechanical speed might be alright for Mackerel. I use mainly floating divers close inshore over rocks, watch the sounder and slow to bring the plug high in the water after passing shallow rocks, or even change direction.

2006 Launches: 8

2006 Species: 5

2007 Species: 19

2007 Launches: 42

2008 Species: 21

2008 Launches: 51

2009 Species: 24

2009 Launches: 47

2010 Launches 35

2010 Species 25

2011 Launches 23

2011 Species 20