Rod License.

Catnfiddled

Answer from Enviro Agency

..... The system appears to satisfy the vast majority of anglers.....

What a crock! I've seen countless posts complaining about this and never seen any reply from an angler supporting the present system. I've said before it is my belief that the present system is designed to maximise the number of staff required, by artificially creating a huge rush at one particular time of year, so that they can sit around contemplating their own navels for the remaining eleven months.

I've said before it is my belief that the present system is designed to maximise the number of staff required, by artificially creating a huge rush at one particular time of year, so that they can sit around contemplating their own navels for the remaining eleven months.

Colin, I suspect you're probably close to the truth with that statement.

What the EA really mean is that it suits THEM to have the current situation, I don't believe that it suits "the vast majority of anglers".

However, I do believe that they believe this to be the case.

1994 public consultation my ar*e! That was 13 years ago, most of the civil servants involved then are now enjoying their substantial pensions. I think their reaction shows that they may be out of touch with public opinion.

Our chief weapon is surprise

For regular anglers this will be a problem only in the first year you fish, thereafter (if you are a regular angler) you will get 12 months worth.

Agreed. After my first year when I only got 9 months, I now get full value from my licence.

However, what about those first time would-be anglers who get fishing gear as a Christmas present? They have to fork out money for a full licence for just a few short months before it needs to be renewed. Fine if they carry on fishing, but a total rip-off if they find it's not the sport for them.

If all licences were issued on a rolling basis, we would have to operate a system of reminders for every individual licence holder which would result in extra costs that would have to be passed on to anglers.

And the problem is? Save money, don't sent reminders and use the money saved to employ more people on the bank to check licence evaders and rake in the fines from the people who didn't keep note of when their licence expired. Most adults are perfectly able to keep track of when they need to renew things. I'm a scatty female, but even I can keep track of when things need renewing - house insurance, medical insurance, magazine subscriptions etc. Each one expires at a different time, but I've never had a problem, and never had to rely on a reminder.

Janet