What do you prefer?

carphead100

Anyone know when I get this poxy fecking 'your post will be reviewed by a mod' thing? I been a member here for years I just had to re-regester...

After #15 you will be back to full & unrestricted membership with working PM, no approval, etc.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

hello mate, just read your question about poles or rods. this is a session carp fishing forum and members chat about fish welfare.. i could imagine somebody turning up at say beaver farms snipe lake with a 16m carbon beast and a cube of meat or a pellet just to have their pole destroyed by a 40lb carp or a 60lb cat, luckily most fisheries would point you in the direction of the pleasure lakes as soon as they saw such an expanse of carbon with an elastic band instead of a reel... plus for the price of a proper pole you could expect a good 2 rod carp set up and if its your cup of tea even a bait boat! i spoke to a guy with a 2 grand pole and he was catching skimmers, i've used bigger livebaits caught with a £5 roach pole that even came with a rig! ... if you intend to bang little carp out of commercials then a pole is a good option but if you want to fish alongside the real speci boys please, please, please get yourself as close to 4 rods as you can! a bit of braid on 1 of your spare spools will convert your 4th rod to a marker rod which can prove invaluable on larger, tricky waters.. although paying for 3 rods on a day ticket can be quite costly. best of luck with whatever path you choose!

I won't be changing from Greys rods and Shimano reels,I just have a few spools of different line and you can Carp fish, fish for cats and dead bait for pike, float for carp on the surface and even scale down when quiet in the day and float fish for a few coarse/silver fish, tench, perch etc, have even used them for lures, though not the best rod for it, but it works.

So all in all why have a pole??? seems like a lot of work for little gain and very restricting on the way you fish and for the type of fish.

Had to be polite and constructive here on my oppinion of poles, for fear of being banned from the forum, sorry they just don't rock ma boat.

Edited by trevor2003

Common jon, you may be surprised to learn that I spent almost a whole season on Sutton at Hone trying to get a 30 on the pole. Caught them to just under 20 with no great trouble. Did upset a few of "the specci boys" (mostly prats) though :)

Of course you are restricted in the distance you can fish, but if you can reach the fish with a pole, then why not give it a go :)

Oh, and by the way, I have caught 20 30+ carp and stacks of big twenties (all in England) so I think I qualify as a "specci boy".....where did that name come from ?

Den, Don't knock it til you have tried it.

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic