Triggerfish

McCowen

Hi all,

Do any of you know if Trigger Fish are any good to keep? :yucky:

I caught a large one of the North Devon Coast this weekend and did not know much about it. After a long battle to get the hook out (gnashing teeth and a bard on its back :angry: ) I put it back. Should I of kept it? Would it make a good lunch ?

Size was approx 400mm long from tip to tail.

Also caught several Mackerel and a Pollock.

Nigel McCowen-Smith

Barnstaple

Devon

Tarpon 160i Angler Wilderness (Red)

Bic TOBAGO (yellow)

Hi all,

Do any of you know if Trigger Fish are any good to keep? :yucky:

I caught a large one of the North Devon Coast this weekend and did not know much about it. After a long battle to get the hook out (gnashing teeth and a bard on its back :angry: ) I put it back. Should I of kept it? Would it make a good lunch ?

Size was approx 400mm long from tip to tail.

Also caught several Mackerel and a Pollock.

Been there mate, took one home and the first problem was gutting it. The skin is like Kevlar, a sharp knife won't touch it, solution, bread knife and saw the head off. After that figured it would be easier to handle once cooked to baked in the oven along with a similar sized Bream. Bream was lovely, the Trigger was just starting to flake at the exposed flesh end but I couldn't get through the skin. Resorted to cooking scissors and managed to peel it. Remaining flesh was, well, extremely firm and needed a very sharp knife. Eat the odd flakes off the head end and was pleasant enough but the remainder not cooked or inedible. Have since been told that they can be eaten and taste like Monkfish, haven't found a recipe.

Best of luck :headhurt:

Edited by overrun

2006 Launches: 8

2006 Species: 5

2007 Species: 19

2007 Launches: 42

2008 Species: 21

2008 Launches: 51

2009 Species: 24

2009 Launches: 47

2010 Launches 35

2010 Species 25

2011 Launches 23

2011 Species 20

Are Trigger fish dangerous ?!

I've never seen a trigger in the flesh, but did read in a sea fishing monthly that you should watch out for those "gnashing teeth" !

Apparently, they are only too happy to give you a quick nip !

Is this true ?

Apparently they can bite through fine wire hooks, which I can easily believe, teeth are like Wrasse but they snap their jaws shut like a trap. Bear in mind they bite straight through limpets and barnacles when feeding. A quick nip is to be avoided as flesh will be removed.

and since you've mentioned it here's a pick:

P8260124.jpg

Great sport on light tackle as theyare usually at least 1.5lb and go mental when hooked, harder fight then a Bream of the same size which says a lot.

2006 Launches: 8

2006 Species: 5

2007 Species: 19

2007 Launches: 42

2008 Species: 21

2008 Launches: 51

2009 Species: 24

2009 Launches: 47

2010 Launches 35

2010 Species 25

2011 Launches 23

2011 Species 20