Inboard Engines

Elton

Cheers for the input so far. It's the 'getting the boat out of the water' bit that's worrying me, so I'm glad that it was brought up.

To shed a bit of light, I'm trying to get together the finance for a bigger boat. Something around the 24ft(ish) mark, but really need to do my homework. The idea is to be able to fish further marks, but I won't be able to do this if the fuel bill is crippling.

My mate has a 24ft Hardy, 200hp Volvo + stern drive, he goes to the Gabard and further regularly. Uses 150 +!!! liters of diesel on these trips, diesel curently costs 56p per liter! Thats at the moment, its going to go up soon (EU directive) to pump prices???? @ £1 a liter :unsure: cant see marinas having a discount war :blink: Makes an out board very attractive . . . if you like sitting on a potential bomb! Had a mates petrol Volvo powered boat blow up some years back! I know where they get the inspiration for 007 movies :huh::oops:

Friends Hardy has to be lifted every 6 months for its, oil, anode change and leg check, as recommended by Volvo, then there is engine service, anti-foul, hull anodes and general below the waterline maintenance on every other one of those lift outs . A couple of weeks ago the electric hydraulic pump stopped working 35 miles off, with the leg up! turned out to be a bad electric connection, which was resolved after much pulling, prodding and praying, by the less than mechanically minded crew. I'll stick to good old fashioned low tech.

Buy the way, I did much the same trip a few weeks back, used 90 liters of diesel, my rudder cable failed, no problem, dropped the emergency tiller arm on the squared end of the rudder post and came home safely, which ever way you jump sh!t happens.

It has to be said that for 'long distance' work, the hand seems to be constantly deep in the pocket, the more bang! bang! on the hull, the harder the mechanics, and crew, take a beating. All the boat owners I know of that do these long demanding trips are regularly involved in just going too or just undergone essential maintenance/repair. Long hard trips = mechanical pressure in a very hostile environment = money, sometimes lots of it, in my case £400 for a new 'hydrobolik' steering system. A 24ft boat crane lift out at my marina will cost at least £130 if you time it right (seasonal discounts) emergency or badly timed lift out will cost twice that!

I'm not saying anymore than you do need to have your eyes wide open. Dont forget all this hi speed long distance capability is regulated by weather and your time to match with it? This year, for me, perhaps 6 windows presented, of which I took 3. Some of the more adventurous owners went out in marginal (in my opinion) conditions, F4-5 and coming back in 5+ and in a planing hull? Not my idea of fun :headhurt: good business for the local dentist :lol:

I know I will be jumped on, but think about it, cos it needs deep thought . . . Talk to Steve?

SW

Edited by Sutton Warrior

Good points by CJS there!

I reckon on 1mile / litre in my MI21 with it's 150 diesel sterndrive with top speed of 32knots. Mate of mine has one with a honda 135 fourstroke outboard and reckons on getting the same economy and performance, but of course his fuel is more expensive, although the engine is cheaper.

With regard to drying/lifting out - you may be able to use a drying pad in your marina/harbour to do anode and driveoil changes. I regularly beach my MI to bleach the weed off the sterndrive as that really hurts performance.

What exactly are you thinking of getting Elton?

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

Seen this one before. Legs are definitely faster HP for HP, economy can be better but the tendency to use the power pushes them over the top, IMHO.

I actually looked at a 27 footer last week with a leg and 230 Volvo, all 2 years old, 32 knots top speed and the price was right'ish, it was a craft Mark that I consider to be top of my wish list. . . then I did the sums :cc_surrender: Against 3 from 6 long distance trip/windows per summer season, the remainder of my fishing is within 10 miles? The numbers just dont stack up for me, speed is not a factor I worry about, 12/13 knots, 1900/2000 rpm cruise, I'm happy, that returns approximately 2 gallons per hour and still gets me to those long distance marks in 2-3 hours. River speeds 8/10 knots reduces my fuel to 6/7 liters per hour. Other benefit, my hull is a semi displacement, with the finest of bows, no slamming and banging of any kind, Ive seen my mate and crew after a 35 mile, 20 knot stem home in 'slight to moderate' seas? If I had not known better, I'd have said they had been on the beer! However they enjoyed themselves, with a few decent bass in double figures, they were returing 5 pounders!!. Eyes wide open, you pays your money . . . . . etc.

SW

Edited by Sutton Warrior

Toerag - sorry, I did reply yesterday and appear to have killed the forums at the same time, so my post didn't appear. :(

At the moment, the plan is that a friend and I are going to look at selling our 17ft boats and invest the money in a larger boat, somewhere around 23ft+ (ish). As with any angler buying a boat, we're trying to calculate the best compromise of speed, fuel efficiency, servicing costs/hassle, purchase cost, etc. Safety is a prime factor, too, as the main reason for this boat is to allow us to fish marks that we currently wouldn't contemplate.

Budget is likely to be very tight, hence all the questions now.

Current top of the list would be a 23ft Wilson Flyer, which can be bought brand new very cheaply. Coupled with the right engine, that would fulfil our needs.

That said, our minds have changed every other day already, so it could be something totally different by the time we're in a position to buy.

If anyone is interested in a 31ft charter-licenced Mitchell for around £22k, I know of one. Bit out of my league, but would be a good working boat for someone.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I have been doing the same exercise Elton for the past few months and I have decided that with a wealth of fishing within easy reach of a berth in Milford Haven 10 to 12 mph would put on inshore marks well within the hour.

Having been out on several charters this year in fast boats I have experienced two trips which did not bode well for anyone other than the skipper sat in his comfortable pilots chair. On the last such event with the only seating backing onto the cabin, boat planing at an angle which left me with my feet constantly pushing back to keep my backside on the seat for over an hour, it took a full week for a full recovery :rolleyes::lol::lol: Because of the distance involved it was not a cheap charter and I have no intentions of repeating it.

With modern semi-displacement hulls or even displacement hulls an inboard diesel would to me seem to be the most economical and comfortable way to go.

I will be looking to purchase Dec 07 to Feb 08 a used craft and will post info for appraisal before dipping into my pockets with extended arms. :rolleyes::lol:

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

I have been doing the same exercise Elton for the past few months and I have decided that with a wealth of fishing within easy reach of a berth in Milford Haven 10 to 12 mph would put on inshore marks well within the hour.

Having been out on several charters this year in fast boats I have experienced two trips which did not bode well for anyone other than the skipper sat in his comfortable pilots chair. On the last such event with the only seating backing onto the cabin, boat planing at an angle which left me with my feet constantly pushing back to keep my backside on the seat for over an hour, it took a full week for a full recovery :rolleyes::lol::lol: Because of the distance involved it was not a cheap charter and I have no intentions of repeating it.

With modern semi-displacement hulls or even displacement hulls an inboard diesel would to me seem to be the most economical and comfortable way to go.

I will be looking to purchase Dec 07 to Feb 08 a used craft and will post info for appraisal before dipping into my pockets with extended arms. :rolleyes::lol:

Well Ken, speed is for the birds??? I have come to the same conclusions, my 60 years appreciates a steady 12 knots . . . gets me 30 miles off in a reasonable time, the inboard 6c shaft drive Ford is a doddle to work on, (engine in a box) I'm to old for under the floor or modern computer controlled installations, where the first tool to reach for is a diagnostic computer :headhurt: Size is the other aspect, slower and or semi displacement, to me, means a little larger 28-30ft? so that the comfort factor can be appreciated, have a brew on the way! Sound proof the engine box and listen to a little music, or put the world to rights with you crew?

My set up is all of the above and fits the bill, I can also spend a few days on board with my partner, fully self contained, not a palace but comfortable, she was once described as having a 'Gentlemans Fishing Cruiser' fit out.

Leave the speed and bruises to the youn'uns, they will learn :D:rolleyes:

SW

Wilson flyers are unbeatable for the price I think - the only other choices in the 23ft range are a Hellraiser, Osprey 22, seaward23, ocqueteau/beneteau/jeaneau/arvor things, cheetah cat, duver 23, aquafish23. Here's my opinions of them:-

Hellraiser - awesome machine, but needs a 200hp motor to get the best from it. Very rarely seen for sale secondhand as they're so good.

Osprey 22 - new out so won't be available secondhand - look gorgeous

Seaward 23 - normally come with twin shaftdrive diesels - fantastic seaboat as they're semi-displacement hulls. Most have the long cabin, but they did make a commercial variant with a short forward cabin.

Ocqueteau etc. - popular but tend to top out at 17knots. Cockpit floor is covered in drain channels to get guts stuck in them. A bit 'hairdressery' for most serious anglers. Structually not too good according to the GRP repairmen I know.

Cheetah - good reputation, not much in the way of a cabin or storage space though. Economic as it's a cat.

Duver 23 - been around a while, either shaft or sterndrive versions available. Could be a good buy if you can find one?

Aquafish 23 - outboard or sterndrive versions, relatively new so not many around secondhand. Not sure about the hull's capabilities, but they're popular.

All should survive a F5-6 if you get caught out in one, but you wouldn't want to go fishing in anything more than a 3-4. The wilson isa catherdral hull so will involve a fair bit of pain if it's rough. The Seaward and Hellraiser have the best pedigree.

Sutton Warrior, Toerag and all - thanks for this. One of the problems I've found is getting input from people who have actually used such boats for fishing, so your input is appreciated. Most magazine reviews seem to be a quick jolly around the harbour, without a ton of fishing tackle. I understand that this is how it has to be when a company lends someone a boat, but proper hands-on experience of fishing on a certain boat means so much more to me.

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

The magazines also tend to review trailerables, or new models, and most of the ones in my list have been around for some time. Given that a new 23footer is going to be in the region of £30-50k there's not too much demand or relevance for reviews of them.

People would be quite shocked at the price of a new Wilson Flier 23ft hull, then :)