I should've stayed in Australia

Leon Roskilly

see:

http://www.regional.mediastatements.wa.gov...be?opendocument

Western Australia’s coastline between Lancelin and south of Mandurah will become an exclusive zone for recreational line fishing under a State Government move to avoid the overfishing of iconic fish such as dhufish and pink snapper.

In making the announcement today, Fisheries Minister Jon Ford said the Metropolitan Fishing Zone would exclude all commercial line and net fishing of demersal finfish.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

In particular, global positioning systems (GPS) and high quality sounders have now become standard items on fishing boats and this has made recreational fishing much more precise and targeted.”

“This action will provide immediate relief to fish stocks, but further action is necessary and the burden of responsibility cannot and should not be carried alone by commercial fishers,” he said.

“Recreational fishers in WA are to be commended for the way they have supported the existing management system based on bag and size limits, but it is clear that the problems we now face require new and innovative solutions.

Are you shure you want this?

More than $5.3million research funding over four years to undertake detailed monitoring of demersal fish catches by recreational and commercial fishers. This research will evaluate the effectiveness of management practices to rebuild these fish stocks;

Scientists are good at obtaining funds

I fish to live and live to fish.

Are you shure you want this?

No, but it's a bloody good foundation and obviously suits their fishery.

UK models/regulations will be designed for UK fisheries.

Scientists are good at obtaining funds

Actually they're not. Having done a research degree (Chem), I know how difficult it is to get funding.

But thank God we have backed our scientists even though the results may not be beneficial to all.

Bruddy ICI/Dupont came together in the 30s (In NY and LONdon) and invented 'mono' which allows Wurzel to buy his nets so cheaply!

I suppose it's one up from catgut, though!

cat6.jpg

Ooopsss. I hear the tinkle of brain cells ........

Edited by H.A.

One fish notably the Western Australian Jewfish or Dhufish in the immediate metro area has declined a lot in populations. Studies show that average size of capture has dropped also significantly.

The commercial sector is very small in this area as the fishery is not profitable for them due to overfishing from both sectors. Really its not a massive sacrifice for whats already stuffed.

Have a look at the sacrifices the recreationals have taken on board over the past decade compared to the commercial sector. This decision has taken a decade to implement.

Many people still report good captures though in many cases a Biomass shrinks with all seeming quite well then it crashes.

The Jewfish is a very slow growing fish with a high mortality rate especially as depth increases. It suffers high rate of air embolisms and doesn't recover unless sent to its precapture depth with say a release weight.

Dont worry the commercial sector basically runs/dictates the WA fishery.

Recreationals have taken massive concessions over the past 15 years to improve their fishery. Next is a saltwater license for demersal species. A full license for fresh/abalone/lobster and demersal will be around 80 quid and more quota limits of say 1 Dhufish per person an already minimum size limit of 550mm.

Jim_Dhuie_Boat_Big.jpg

Paradise is exactly like where you are right now, only much, much better!

• 1 month later...
No, but it's a bloody good foundation and obviously suits their fishery.

UK models/regulations will be designed for UK fisheries.

Actually they're not. Having done a research degree (Chem), I know how difficult it is to get funding.

But thank God we have backed our scientists even though the results may not be beneficial to all.

Bruddy ICI/Dupont came together in the 30s (In NY and LONdon) and invented 'mono' which allows Wurzel to buy his nets so cheaply!

I suppose it's one up from catgut, though!

cat6.jpg

Ooopsss. I hear the tinkle of brain cells ........

Is that felix?