is everyone's bottom flat?

norton

wotcha, me again. i've been looking at a prowler 13 in my not so local store and was wondering if "they're all like that sir". the hull has a slight indent towards the rear on what would be the keel line. i was told that "they are all different, some are worse, others better, it depends on how they come out of the mould." is this true? has yours got a smooth bottom or am i being told porkies. i realise that any defects in hull shape will cause drag to a more or less extent and small imperfections i can put up with but on a new boat i would like the best shape available and not be sold anything substandard just for the sake of a sale.

your thoughts please.......

andy. :unsure:

Mines all over the place, had a small bump just ahead of one of the front scupper holes but smoothed it out with the application of hot water and and gentle pressure. WhenI first started paddling thought I'd bought a banana, now just get in and go without a thought. If you want something that looks straight then it's a composite job, Dorado etc.

2006 Launches: 8

2006 Species: 5

2007 Species: 19

2007 Launches: 42

2008 Species: 21

2008 Launches: 51

2009 Species: 24

2009 Launches: 47

2010 Launches 35

2010 Species 25

2011 Launches 23

2011 Species 20

You should have an even profile! Mine has dints in it now, from strapping, but it still seems to paddle ok.

My Scupper Pro seems to be made of sturdier stuff and doesn't dint! I would avoid a dinted one that is supposed to be new.

Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Flame

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro Flame

my malibu two is quite distorted too but it still floats and performs fantastically regardless.

there are two flatter spots where i strap it to the roof bars( two bits of 3x3 timber post)

saying that, my car has a big dent in the wing and it dosent bother me either lol. as long as it works i say.

im sure theres plenty more outlets where you could get another if you dont like it?