which species

lyons

hi there just wondered where icould find out more about the fish i can catch from the shore.are there any i should be wary of handling ,or can some bite.which fish you can gut and eat.are some of the shore fish poisonous, is any endangered. some info or adive would greatly help thanks. :thumbs:

Weevers are the only truly poisonous fish you're likely to encounter - they live in sand and there's plenty of pictures and other info on the web if you google for them. However, there are many other spiny fish:- sea scorpions, bass & gurnards are the things you're most likely to get spiked by. Toothy fish such as ling or whiting are also troublesome. Wounds from fish spikes or teeth tend not to heal very well due to bactieria in fish slime/saliva.

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

Weevers are the only truly poisonous fish you're likely to encounter - they live in sand and there's plenty of pictures and other info on the web if you google for them. However, there are many other spiny fish:- sea scorpions, bass & gurnards are the things you're most likely to get spiked by. Toothy fish such as ling or whiting are also troublesome. Wounds from fish spikes or teeth tend not to heal very well due to bactieria in fish slime/saliva.

cheers just looked and had a read on weaver fish ,what about rays can they be dangerous, would you recomend gloves .

No need for gloves as long as you know what you're dealing with.

Weavers .... just look out for the black and white flag DORSAL FIN.

Sea Scorpions etc are harmless as long as you don't impale yourself! Nasty wound.

Skin of bull huss and doggies (LSDs) can make a mess of your arm if you let them wrap you!

Handle them (smaller ones) by gripping tail to head, otherwise they squirm like eels!

Some common rays have curved spines (Thornbacks/'Roker' in particular). They are usually handled by gripping either side of the eyes/cheeks where there is a soft cavity. As with all cartilaginous fishes, though, avoid 'hanging them' from head to tail. Lay them down. Sting rays need to be turned on their backs and beware the whip-spine!

You are most likely to get scythed by the razor sharp gill plates from bream and bass and look out for their spines. There's a trick to holding most smaller spikey fish by gripping them gently from head and smoothing the fins back to the tail with your hand. Same thing with 'Triggers'!

Until you are experienced you'll find a damp cloth useful, although I don't like removing the natural slime from any fish I want to return.

Beware mackerel! They'll almost certainly die after handling because of their thin membranous skin which is very susceptible to fungal attack.

Shake mackerel off the hooks if you mean to return them.

http://www.sacn.org.uk/Articles/Releasing_Mackerel.html

:rolleyes: