I just usually only catch tiddlers of several species

using maggots. So I would like to try targeting the

bigger Perch in the pond and would really appreciate

any advice on rigs.

There are no Pike in the water.

Thanks in advance

Dave

Hi,

There have been some very interesting discussions recently on perch. Here's a link to a couple of them. I know you say that there are no pike present in your water but these are still worth a read:

Perch as livebait

Wire for perch

Sorry I can't help you more but I don't have any experience of livebaiting for perch but hope to soon!

Well done on your last capture. A cracking fish.

The best time to fish is when you have a chance.

Is there any particular reason you want to use livebaits, e.g. lobs get hoovered up straight away by carp? If not, I'd try lobs first. Infinitely less hassle than livies!

I haven't got enough experience of livebaiting for perch to offer any useful advice, sorry. Have a look at Steve Burke's articles on the main site, they should help.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I'm no expert at live baiting for perch however i have tried various methods , i was getting some very good fish on dead baits a year or so back and thought i would try lives to see if i could improve my catch rate. I had been using deads at distance so started fishing lives the same way i.e. on the bottom, nothing happened to the lives but i was still getting fish on another rod rigged with dead bait. My assumption was that the livebait was in effect hidding in the weed growth on the bottom, so i rigged a float/leger rig , i don't know if that is the correct term, but the set-up was a float on the surface a weight on the bottom and the bait tethered on a trace in between .This worked to extent but it still didn't catch more fish than the deads.

So i tend to stick to dead baits , I'm sure lives would work else ware but they just don't seem to be effective on the water i fish,or perhaps I'm still fishing them wrong.

But one thing is for sure fish baits do pick out the bigger fish, for me the lobs just bring small fish and roach.

P.s. no pike on the waters i fish.

I wish I could find a good specimen perch water with no pike in. How simple that would make things!

Just out of curiosity, when you say 'no pike' do you mean there literally aren't any, or do you mean there are so few that you can use fish baits and be fairly sure that a pike won't pick it up?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I wish I could find a good specimen perch water with no pike in. How simple that would make things!

Just out of curiosity, when you say 'no pike' do you mean there literally aren't any, or do you mean there are so few that you can use fish baits and be fairly sure that a pike won't pick it up?

I have been told by the park wardens

that their are no Pike in this paticular

pond and I have never seen anyone

catch one from it either.

Cheers everyone for your replies.

I think I will do some reading up

on various baits for Perch, Deads vs Lives

etc..

I just want to catch more big Perch

as they are sooo impressive looking.

Dave

Good luck :) There's nothing quite like a big perch is there?

Bait preference changes from water to water, so if the water you're fishing has no known form, you'll have to try different things and see what works best. If no-one else knows about the perch in there, I wouldn't tell anyone either!