Fish spotting tips

squibs

Hello all

Has anyone got any tips on spotting trout on still waters? I know that this question may make me sound like a bit of a charlie, but i was fishing on my local trout water and one of the more mature anglers who i was talking to, was jumping around like a monkey on a bed of coals casting all over the shop. At first I thought that there was a bit of kidoledgie going on, but this chap was hitting over 50% of what he was casting too. The thing is I saw a few fish but the rest was ??????? The water was well rippled but had an oily type area where the wind didn't play on. I do wear polorised glasses and to my knowledge my eye sight hasn't deteariated to the state that I can't see beyond my rod tip. Well I hope it hasn't?

Any help would be greatly received.

squibs :blink:

Take for need not for greed. A wise old fisherman told me and why should I argue with him?

There are at least 3 major colour variations available in polarized lenses and each is more effective in certain light conditions. Possibly the other angler was lucky enough to have a better colour or maybe he carried all 3 of them and changed as needed.

This article gives a good idea of which sort of glasses work best under various conditions and which lens material is safest for anglers.

Something like one of These might be in order unless you wear prescription lenses and in that case, you can probably find similar options for those.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Thanks Newt.

It would seem that I'll have to invest in a better pair of spec's then or at least a pair that has the correct colour for the job in hand.

squibs

Take for need not for greed. A wise old fisherman told me and why should I argue with him?

More than likely he knows the water, but signs are , Vs in the water, tails and fins,swirls, jumping,seeing the fish,watching the line of the ripple, and if there is any muck on the surface cast to the edge of it.Ask the guy who is catching the fish :rolleyes: If you have trees around you, check the wind direction ,it will blow insects onto the water, watch the leaves hit the water and that will give you an idea of were the insects are landing.Get yer self a pair of binoculars and scan the surface, so you know what the buggers are feeding on :thumbs:

Thanks loopy.

I got the swirls, v's and jumping bits, but there seemed to be something more subtel going on. I'm not good with subtel, well subtel casting any way. I maybe reading something more into it than is wise and maybe as newt suggested it's a case of more effective eye wear. Unfortunitly the older chap kind of ram raided the lake took his fish and shot off all within a couple of hours. Within that allotted time he was also good enough to give me some pointers however like a numbty I forgot to ask him.

squibs

Thanks loopy.

I got the swirls, v's and jumping bits, but there seemed to be something more subtel going on. I'm not good with subtel, well subtel casting any way. I maybe reading something more into it than is wise and maybe as newt suggested it's a case of more effective eye wear. Unfortunitly the older chap kind of ram raided the lake took his fish and shot off all within a couple of hours. Within that allotted time he was also good enough to give me some pointers however like a numbty I forgot to ask him.

squibs

Clearly this guy has fished there before "or lucky" and knows the hatch.I work on the principle of trout being in the first 6ft of water, it dosnt always work, but more often then not "rainbows" start with a sinking or degreased leader , but heres the trick you got to slow the decent of the fly, using floatant has two advanatges, 1 your fly will stay on the surface until its dragged under by some pulls of the line, when sinking it will sink slower than most flies "depending on fly weight" I like non weighted monties, i give them a jerk every few seconds as they desend the water, you can even use them like a dry fly , had a couple of fish last week that way.You can also grease up your line to 1 inch- 12ins or more of the fly ,this will suspend the fly at the depth you set and can be a killer, better use mono for that and twitches of the fly.But with all fly fishing ,ever water is different, its matter of picking the brains of the successful anglers, you will then get to see the patterns that occure during the fishing season :rolleyes: As for polaroids from £10 upto £25 you wont find much difference, i buy cheap cause i break things alot :schmoll: but a grey lense pair and a yellow or HLT lensed jobby will be the most used pair you can have and dont forget your hat with a peak.

All the best Squibs

Thanks loopy

A lot of wisdom that is well received. The chap started fishing at the very begining of the waters life so I'm sure he is well versed in the waters carateristics. He also fishes alot of ather waters too, so maybe its a case of age and knowledge.

Top tip about the tippet and the rate of fall. I shall deffinatly apply it and see what happens. Lots of tasty trout I hope.

squibs :yeah:

Thanks loopy

A lot of wisdom that is well received. The chap started fishing at the very begining of the waters life so I'm sure he is well versed in the waters carateristics. He also fishes alot of ather waters too, so maybe its a case of age and knowledge.

Top tip about the tippet and the rate of fall. I shall deffinatly apply it and see what happens. Lots of tasty trout I hope.

squibs :yeah:

Talking of polaroids, ive got a pair of flying fishermans calcuttas, they were about twenty odd quid, they got a very good review in a trout fishing mag. click view article http://www.flyingfisherman.com/2002/press_trout_0804.php ive had them about a year now and amazingly havnt scratched the lenses yet, theyve done me well :rolleyes:

Gaz

• 3 weeks later...
Hello all

Has anyone got any tips on spotting trout on still waters? I know that this question may make me sound like a bit of a charlie, but i was fishing on my local trout water and one of the more mature anglers who i was talking to, was jumping around like a monkey on a bed of coals casting all over the shop. At first I thought that there was a bit of kidoledgie going on, but this chap was hitting over 50% of what he was casting too. The thing is I saw a few fish but the rest was ??????? The water was well rippled but had an oily type area where the wind didn't play on. I do wear polorised glasses and to my knowledge my eye sight hasn't deteariated to the state that I can't see beyond my rod tip. Well I hope it hasn't?

Any help would be greatly received.

squibs :blink:

I find the best overall polarised lense colour for sight fishing to be amber. It both highlights what you see and cuts out surface glare in a broad range of light conditions.

The point most anglers find difficult with fish spotting is seeing fish lying deeper than the top 3-4 feet. You need to focus your eyes on the bottom (or as deep as you can see), it does sound strange I know but the number of fish you will spot increases significantly.

Tight Lines

Steve