Difficult new dam with big fish! Need help!

Pipe

It is a new gravel pit n want t o fish in( an old charcoal mine). It is very deep with one flat shallow area with grass growing on it. I Have only fished there once before and my dad caught one carp on a worm. The water is very clear and the fish are spooky. Other fish species in the dam are catfish and black bass, but I only want to target the big carps. The natural foods in the water is fresh water shrimp and mussels. Can anybody give me some suggestions on rigs, bait, techniques etc. I have attached a photo of my dad's fish.

pavispk8.jpg

Yes please!

Hi Pipe.

There is no way I know of to target only big carp and it is difficult to target specifically carp since catfish will eat almost all of the same foods with the possible exception of Tiger Nuts (actually the root nodules [tubers] of a grasslike plant in the sedge family). You may be able to buy them locally but most likely would have to order via the internet.

Feeding with broken bits of tiger nuts over a period of a week or so then fishing with them on a hair rig and a #6 carp hook would be my suggestion.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

i am currently fishing for carp in a large barrage in france. the carp there are virtually unfished for. i have been baiting with maize and the carp have been getting right on it! i am only fishing short sessions and only bait up as i leave. if you can get your hands on maize it is well worth baiting with. i dont know where you are but here in france a sack of maize is about 9 euros! cheap as you like!

hope this helps and good luck.

Fishing, the only rule is that there is no rule!

i am currently fishing for carp in a large barrage in france. the carp there are virtually unfished for. i have been baiting with maize and the carp have been getting right on it! i am only fishing short sessions and only bait up as i leave. if you can get your hands on maize it is well worth baiting with. i dont know where you are but here in france a sack of maize is about 9 euros! cheap as you like!

hope this helps and good luck.

Thank you starlight! Yes I can get maize for free! What hook baits do you fish over the maize? Do you use maize or what other hookbaits do you use?

Yes please!

i bait up with maize and use maize on a hair rig, normally about 3 grains popped up with a piece of yellow rig foam, i use an inline korda lead and pop the bait straight off it, normally about a 6 inch hook length. i also boil a few tiger nuts up with the maize (not cheap here!) so the carp are finding them as well and if i get pestered by other species i just tip the hair rig with a tiger and it seems to do the job.

Fishing, the only rule is that there is no rule!

Pipe - it will probably help you with this question and future ones if you put your location in your profile. Otherwise, most folks will assume you are in the UK and will offer advice based on conditions & regulations as they exist there.

Take a look under my photo and see the sort of info that will help us help you.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

thanks bingo, i did not think to mention preparing the maize :thumbs:

How do i change my profile? I am a bit new to this forum and don't no where on the website to change it? Can you give me some directions please?

Yes please!

Top of this (or any) page and click on My Contols.

Menu on the left side of the page and scroll down to Personal Profile.