i want to start pike fishing

lukeyboy2007

Welcome to the forum.

I'd help if I knew anything about pike but I don't live where they do.

Plenty of pike guys on here though and someone will give you information soon.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Have a look at www.pacgb.co.uk i.e. pike anglers club of Great Britain plenty of useful info especially the handling/ unhooking advice

If you carp fish you should already have the tackle to handle most pike, just a few wire traces & rigs + appropriate unhooking gear forcepts, wire cutters etc required.

I enjoy fishing rivers, normally float fishing a small deadbait (smelt) very close in. I move swim on regular basis ( 30mins) and often use a second rod to catch chub or roach which helps pass the time waiting for run, but also helps attract the attention of the pike.

goodluck

Have a look at www.pacgb.co.uk i.e. pike anglers club of Great Britain plenty of useful info especially the handling/ unhooking advice

If you carp fish you should already have the tackle to handle most pike, just a few wire traces & rigs + appropriate unhooking gear forcepts, wire cutters etc required.

I enjoy fishing rivers, normally float fishing a small deadbait (smelt) very close in. I move swim on regular basis ( 30mins) and often use a second rod to catch chub or roach which helps pass the time waiting for run, but also helps attract the attention of the pike.

goodluck

thanks for that site it is very useful

Where are you from? as already mentioned try the PAC and see if there are any regions nearby

if your in st helens wigan area im in region 31 our blog

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

A non-pike angler might not understand the way the Pike Anglers Club (PAC) works. It is split up into "regions" who usually meet up at a local pub on a regular basis. As well as meeting up to fish locally they will arrange trips to other areas, slide shows etc. Find your local region here

http://www.pacgb.co.uk/regions.html

A non-pike angler might not understand the way the Pike Anglers Club (PAC) works. It is split up into "regions" who usually meet up at a local pub on a regular basis. As well as meeting up to fish locally they will arrange trips to other areas, slide shows etc. Find your local region here

http://www.pacgb.co.uk/regions.html

Once you have contacted your nearest PAC Region if yr lucky you will get a trip out with an experienced piker.

Pike need care because they are not robust fish and poor angling practices result in deep hooked, and damaged fish, that may die.

Its worth buying some piking books from eBay or Amazon to show you how to approach it, bite indicators, rigs, good handling etc.

Hi everyone,

I Want to start pike fishing. I've been carp fishing for 4 years now and im getting a bit bored with carp. Can someone tell me what i need to get started?

thank you.

You should be ok with most of your Carp gear depending on what you use. For pike fishing 15lb b.s. is a minimum with 20lb b.s. preferred and a wire trace a must. Don't be afraid to go heavy with the wire

as it doesn't put the pike off and is more resistant to kinking. Barbless or semi-barbless hooks are the best for pike conservation. You must have at least 2 pairs of long forceps and an unhooking mat. Your Carp landing net should be OK. Don't be tempted to 'chin' them out as you may have seen on the telly. one mistake and you are in deep do-do !

Unhooking is fairly easy but difficult to explain so its best that you go with an experienced piker first to learn the ropes. You'll only get bitten if you make a mistake or get careless.

Oh, and have a good bite indication set up for both runs and drop backs. The old 'rule' about waiting 10 seconds for the pike to turn the bait is nonsense and you should strike as quickly as possible. Sure you may loose a few but they are usually greedy jacks that have more than a mouthful.

Certainly contacting your local PAC will give you all the expert information you need and probably a good few tips as to locations.

Cheers

Ron

If you are fed up with carp fishing then don't just think pike is the only answer. Lots of jarred off carpers turn to pike and all they do is 'carp fish' for pike. Pike fishing is pike fishing, forget the bivvy and bite indicators. Unfortunately pike are not a self hooking species! If you want to really succeed at piking then great, but the ethos is different.

But why only go for pike? How about roach? Why be a one species, one method angler? I know that I was, for many years. Since branching out my satisfaction has multiplied ten times and more.

If you are fed up with carp fishing then don't just think pike is the only answer. Lots of jarred off carpers turn to pike and all they do is 'carp fish' for pike. Pike fishing is pike fishing, forget the bivvy and bite indicators. Unfortunately pike are not a self hooking species! If you want to really succeed at piking then great, but the ethos is different.

But why only go for pike? How about roach? Why be a one species, one method angler? I know that I was, for many years. Since branching out my satisfaction has multiplied ten times and more.

Good points there Peter...I think the ethos between the two is very different.

I'm not entireley sure how I 'learn't' how to pike fish but the PAC is a good place to start along with all the other great sources of info. on the net.

Obviously if you can go out a few times with someone who knows the ropes than that will help loads especially with the unhooking/handling side of things

Good luck