another shark story

BristolLes

Did anybody see the report of a 400kg thresher in todays Daily Mirror ? Details below copied from their website (www.mirror co.uk) .....................

Record-breaker shark caught off Cornwall

..But it only eats mackerel

Just when you thought it was safe go back in the water a monster shark turns up.

But there's no need to worry...the record-breaking 400kg thresher - rare in UK waters - prefers the taste of mackerel, anchovies and pilchards to people.

Cornish lobster fishermen Alan Fairless landed the beast after it got tangled in his pots off Mevagissey.

The father-of-three, from nearby Charlestown, needed a larger trawler's winching gear to pluck it from the sea and a forklift truck to transport it around the harbour.

The 15ft shark weighed in 52kg heavier than the old world record.

Alan said: "It's the biggest thing I've ever caught. I knew I wouldn't get it on my boat when I saw the size of it."

KILLER FACTS

There is no official record of anyone being killed by a thresher...but one unconfirmed story tells of a fishermen beheaded by the tail ...... ( keep your head down richi !)

There are four recorded instances of threshers attacking boats

.......... The picture in the paper was impressive too ! .......

Edited by BristolLes

Did anybody see the report of a 400kg thresher in todays Daily Mirror ? Details below copied from their website (www.mirror co.uk) .....................

Record-breaker shark caught off Cornwall

..But it only eats mackerel

Just when you thought it was safe go back in the water a monster shark turns up.

But there's no need to worry...the record-breaking 400kg thresher - rare in UK waters - prefers the taste of mackerel, anchovies and pilchards to people.

Cornish lobster fishermen Alan Fairless landed the beast after it got tangled in his pots off Mevagissey.

The father-of-three, from nearby Charlestown, needed a larger trawler's winching gear to pluck it from the sea and a forklift truck to transport it around the harbour.

The 15ft shark weighed in 52kg heavier than the old world record.

Alan said: "It's the biggest thing I've ever caught. I knew I wouldn't get it on my boat when I saw the size of it."

KILLER FACTS

There is no official record of anyone being killed by a thresher...but one unconfirmed story tells of a fishermen beheaded by the tail

There are four recorded instances of threshers attacking boats

.......... The picture in the paper was impressive too ! .......

Saw it in the sun too...so it must be true;)

The sad thing is a french buyer bought it for 350 quid...not a fitting end for something that is 120 lb bigger than the world record. A days sharking would have provided more to the economy that that one fish had to contribute.

Theres been a few caught off filey this year in nets.

Lets hope they become a regular feature of uk fishing.

Cheers

Dave

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org

It was most properly be dead when he brought it up, I'm glad to see it was sold and not used for a photo session and then dumped back in the water to rot

Lat/Long :- N50°58.366 W001°26.468

I must go down to the sea again

To the lonely sea and sky

I left my shoes and socks there

I wonder if they're dry?