Dumfries Pike Report (late)

lewis888

Hello all, due to internet/laptop problems I've been unable to post any reports for a while. So here's a short report and pics from my last two outings...

21/10/07

After a cancelled charter trip for tope because of the weather I decided to head to a local loch for a bash at the pike instead - after all I'd travelled home from Edinburgh with the intention of fishing. My uncle, Brent, was also interested in giving the pike fishing a go (his first trip) so we set out fairly early with the aim of being home in time for the last grand prix of the season.

As it was short notice I was limited to what bait I already had in the freezer so it was a choice of mackeral or some manky old lamprey! Luckily mackeral usually fishes very well at the loch. We got set up, I fished 3 rods (2 deadbaits and one float) and Brent fished one deadbait rod. His was first to go after about 15mins in the water and resulted in his first pike...of about 2lbs. From then on the action was reasonably consistent...for him! (beginners luck - isnt that always the way!!!!) The final tally was one fish for me around 4lb and 5 fish for him (1.5,4,4,4 and a lovely fish of bang on 8lbs) all to mackeral baits.

Brents 8lber

Picture023.jpg

Picture024.jpg

All in all a great day. The weather was variable but the lack of wind made for a very nice, almost warm, day. The highlight of the day - other than the 8lber - was striking into a fish on my deadbait rod, turning around and seeing the float dissapear on another rod. Both fish of about 4lb, shame there was only two of us fishing, it would have made for a good photo :)

11/11/07

This wasn't such a great trip so I'll only do a quick report, same loch yesterday with my younger brother. 3 fish caught, 2 for me both around 3 1/2lb on deadbaits (smelt and mackeral) and one of around 3lb to my brother on a spinner. Absolutely freezing cold, so cold, windy and relatively fish-less we ended up heading home early :( No pics I'm afraid, my hands were too cold to work the camera! :)

Is the loch you're fishing just holding a head of small jacks or has it got form for throwing up some good fish, it might just be that the water you're on holds no big fish but a massive head of smaller pike

Theres some really good waters near to you that will give you the chance of a 15lb plus fish, some are free to fish and others will cost and there are some lochs near to you that are plauged with crayfish and hardly worth the bother

Lewis get down to st Marys loch its a hot spot just now mate pike up to 27lb plenty of bays to fish £8 per day

only 1 hour from Edinburgh B)

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif

Well I live in Edinburgh just now (university) but yes when I'm at home I live in Dumfries, I have a car and am more than willing to travel (within reason!) during the summer I regularly drive to the mull of galloway for a days sea fishing to ravel is not an issue :)

p.s - are all replies viewed by a moderator or is it just because I am a newbie? And also I am unable to edit posts or display an avatar, and ideas? Thanks! I'm asking because I forgot to resize my pictures before I posted them and now I can't edit the frst post!!

p.s - are all replies viewed by a moderator or is it just because I am a newbie? And also I am unable to edit posts or display an avatar, and ideas? Thanks! I'm asking because I forgot to resize my pictures before I posted them and now I can't edit the frst post!!

Hello Lewis

Until you reach a certain number of posts, they will have to await approval by myself or one of the other mods. Unfortunately we had to do that in order to stop people abusing the system (adverts and such).

When you've reached the minimum number of posts, you'll be able to display an avatar, send/receive PM's and edit your posts too :)

Tight lines, John

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Hello Lewis

Until you reach a certain number of posts, they will have to await approval by myself or one of the other mods. Unfortunately we had to do that in order to stop people abusing the system (adverts and such).

When you've reached the minimum number of posts, you'll be able to display an avatar, send/receive PM's and edit your posts too :)

Tight lines, John

Thanks for the reply mate, thought that might be the case :)