Advice on beachcasters

saltecho

I retired last year and have just got used to it!!

I used to fish chesil beach (in dark and January) but never had any money to buy a decent rod. Well I've got an ABU 6500C and want a suitable beachcaster. My research says I need something about 15' designed to take a multiplier that can cast 4oz a long way - gonna practice on my local school playing field. There doesn't seem to be much choice but money is not a problem and I am not sure what to buy. Who better to ask than other anglers so I welcome advice. My wife's was to stay at home!!

Thanks

In a nutshell, you won't need anything like 15' for a multiplier reel unless your name is Danny Moeskops!

If you are starting out again, stick to 12 -13'.

Rods are light and slim enough today to go for 13', but you only get what you pay for.

Daiwa produce nice 'getting back into it' rods (Intermediate) for around £130.

Any cheaper and you stick at it, will mean an upgrade in a few months and possibly disappointment on the way.

The Daiwa STS range is very good and you might pick up an STS 13M for about £130 even though it is listed at £200 ...

try www.gerrysfishing.com; but many of the bigger mail order companies will price match.

Not sure why you are looking at 4oz (125g) as a fishing weight?

Certainly for Chesil you would mostly be fishing with 5oz and sometimes 7oz!

For some of the best finished, light yet powerful rods I'd go for one of these ...

http://www.anyfishanywhere.com/rods.htm

with decent prices from ...

http://www.anglingcentre.net/acatalog/anyrods.html

;)

PM me if you'd like more detailed advice

I used to fish chesil beach (in dark and January) but never had any money to buy a decent rod. Well I've got an ABU 6500C and want a suitable beachcaster. My research says I need something about 15' designed to take a multiplier that can cast 4oz a long way - gonna practice on my local school playing field. There doesn't seem to be much choice but money is not a problem and I am not sure what to buy. Who better to ask than other anglers so I welcome advice. My wife's was to stay at home!!

Thanks

Hi, welcome to an, H A is a good teacher regarding casting etc, he will see you right. I'm jelous that you live near enough to chesil that you can fish off the beach. I boat fish looking at chesil quite often and hear about the beach guys who fish the wreck for trigger fish, i suppose when you reach that, 150 yds, you have arrived. Good luck.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Thanks

Many thanks for that just shows how good advice helps. I looked at many rods on net fancied Shakespeare K2 which is fairly well discounted at Devon Angling. I am out of touch with weights and yes need something to handle 6-8 oz. I live 2 hours from chesil but the drive is worth it.

Many thanks for that just shows how good advice helps. I looked at many rods on net fancied Shakespeare K2 which is fairly well discounted at Devon Angling. I am out of touch with weights and yes need something to handle 6-8 oz. I live 2 hours from chesil but the drive is worth it.

Welcome to AN, I am 64 and use a K2 Blue Metal Team Extreme Fixed Spool 16' 8" x 3 sections 3.5-7oz Casting weight which I purchased from Devon Tackle approx 2yrs back.

I am not the worlds best caster by any means, at 5' 9" and weighing in at 16 stone I am not that supple :rolleyes: so what has the K2 done for me.

a} Maintained and increased my casting distance without any extra effort, in fact reduced effort.

b} Keeps my line nice and high above the shore breakers giving better bite detection.

Mine is a fixed spool version but I use it with my ABU 6500 ct mag without any problems.

I am so pleased with it when I compare it to many other rods I have used in the past for shore fishing that I am going to invest in one of the new range K2 Red Metal Twin Tip Beach Caster 16'x 3 sections next year.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Welcome to AN, I am 64 and use a K2 Blue Metal Team Extreme Fixed Spool 16' 8" x 3 sections 3.5-7oz Casting weight which I purchased from Devon Tackle approx 2yrs back.

I am not the worlds best caster by any means, at 5' 9" and weighing in at 16 stone I am not that supple :rolleyes: so what has the K2 done for me.

a} Maintained and increased my casting distance without any extra effort, in fact reduced effort.

b} Keeps my line nice and high above the shore breakers giving better bite detection.

Mine is a fixed spool version but I use it with my ABU 6500 ct mag without any problems.

I am so pleased with it when I compare it to many other rods I have used in the past for shore fishing that I am going to invest in one of the new range K2 Red Metal Twin Tip Beach Caster 16'x 3 sections next year.

Ken many thanks for the advice and experience. On that I phoned and bought the self same rod thinking if you can handle it I might with a bit of practice. Got it from Devon Angling Centre delivered next day and good price so now, when all this rain stops I'm off to local fottball field to practice. :blink:

Thanks