Help with strange router problem.

pikergonecarpin

This one has me baffled, hopefully someone here can offer me some insight.

I installed a new wireless router/modem over the weekend. After setting it up, got everything to work perfectly (or so it seemed). However, when i connect to ebay i cannot sign in. Even if i type a search, it just sits there doing nothing.

I can sign in securely/unsecurely to any other sites including Paypal etc. But certain sites (like this one) don't allow me to sent/upload/receive data. I just tried to ask this question while attached to the wireless router. It just stopped when i pressed submit. Now i am back with a standard modem i can ask this question for some reason.

To test if it was ebay/anglersnet problem, i installed my old USB modem and connected up the old wired way and it works perfectly, no problems at all.

The other strange thing is if i click any links etc on ebay, or look through the forums here it works fine, just as soon as i type something and press enter the site becomes unresponsive...

I've tried changing every setting in the router/firewall to no avail. It's probaly something stupid, but i've tried everything i know.

Thanks

Paul :)

There's no such thing as a bad days fishing..

I had a very similar problem with one of my wireless routers, different websites, but the same deal, and it was if I remember correctly somehting to do with some odd cache settings, though I can't remember whether those setting were in the browser or the router!

Sorry to not be more help, but that may give you an idea where to look?

Jon

Paul - have you tried using different browsers (Firefox, IE, Opera, etc.)? If one worked and one did not, it might help in diagnosing the cause and getting it fixed.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Got it!!

At last, it's only taken me 4 hours to sort...

My router had a setting : force upstream mtu 1500. I changed it down to 1458 (i think that's what BT recommends) and everything's hunky dory again, and i'm finally on speaking terms with my PC :D

Thanks for the reponses, they poked me in the right direction.

Paul.

There's no such thing as a bad days fishing..