Fishing In Hua Hin, Thailand

Elton

Yes you are right Stu neither the French or the Spannish cats are indigenous cant argue that! but come on there isa bit of a difference between fish stocked in the big rivers such as the Saone and the Ebro and small pools such as Bung sam and the likes?

I suppose what I dont like is the way that the fish from these smaller Thai waters are portrayed by some of their captors (or is it just the press?) as angling feats? Just dont think a 100lb Arapaima from one of these waters is anywhere near a fish caught from a more natural setting?

You always traveled for your big fish so you surely see what Im getting at?

Then again I suppose for many anglers its simply not possible for them to do it at grass roots level where at this sort of fishery it is possiblr to make their dreams come true.Also like mentioned you arnt going to have much chance to try for some species (such as the Mekong I suppose) in their natural enviroment due to them being endangered/fishing restrictions etc?

As both you and I have said simply not my cup of tea! but as long as people dont try to make it out as anything other than what it is I have no problem.I suppose though thast unlike yourself most of these people promoting such places have very little if any experience of what I would call the real thing.

Please note Im not bashing Thai fisheries /guiding services in general.If you notice Ive been very interested in Riks stuff about the stingray.

Suppose I best try and make the time and money to visit you and experience your "mud hole" ;) at first hand! As long as you promise to not drink and keep your trousers up! Kens Mrs has never been the same! Darral says hello too.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• 7 months later...
Yes you are right Stu neither the French or the Spannish cats are indigenous cant argue that! but come on there isa bit of a difference between fish stocked in the big rivers such as the Saone and the Ebro and small pools such as Bung sam and the likes?

I suppose what I dont like is the way that the fish from these smaller Thai waters are portrayed by some of their captors (or is it just the press?) as angling feats? Just dont think a 100lb Arapaima from one of these waters is anywhere near a fish caught from a more natural setting?

You always traveled for your big fish so you surely see what Im getting at?

Then again I suppose for many anglers its simply not possible for them to do it at grass roots level where at this sort of fishery it is possiblr to make their dreams come true.Also like mentioned you arnt going to have much chance to try for some species (such as the Mekong I suppose) in their natural enviroment due to them being endangered/fishing restrictions etc?

As both you and I have said simply not my cup of tea! but as long as people dont try to make it out as anything other than what it is I have no problem.I suppose though thast unlike yourself most of these people promoting such places have very little if any experience of what I would call the real thing.

Please note Im not bashing Thai fisheries /guiding services in general.If you notice Ive been very interested in Riks stuff about the stingray.

Suppose I best try and make the time and money to visit you and experience your "mud hole" ;) at first hand! As long as you promise to not drink and keep your trousers up! Kens Mrs has never been the same! Darral says hello too.

What I find so dissappointing about this post is that it really shows a complete lack of awareness about both conservation AND what people like Stuart have achieved in the establishing of such fisheries as Gillham's.

In the case of the Arapaima, many of the pictures you will find of captures in the wild are ultimately of dead fish, since the fish has to be handled with extreme care if its not to come to harm, something that is almost impossible to do in the wilds of the Amazon Jungle. The Arapaima is an endangered species in the wild, and personally I think once a fish acquires that status then fishing for it in any circumstance except a controlled environment like these "mudholes" becomes a questionable practice at best. A 100kg or 100lb(for that matter) freshwater fish, whether captured in the wild or in a "mudhole" is quite an accomplishment no matter what way you try to spin it. For a fishery owner its quite a feat to retain such specimens in good health, for the angler its quite a feat to beat a fish that size on rod and line.

Bungsamran is mentioned. To clarify the situation, Bungsamran has a small head of the largest carp in the world, that practically speaking could not be targeted anywhere else in the world other than Bungsamran (I am talking about 150lb+ specimens). You could fish for these carp on Bungsamran for many many years without success, so what is the difference in terms of angling accomplishment between catching one of these, and catching a 40lb or 50lb carp in your venue back in the UK? I can tell you the difference! It's a damn site more difficult! Some of these fish are close to hundred years old, they are wise, wary, and then even if you do get a hook up the fish will run you in circles.

Last week our guest took a 67lb Giant Siamese Carp, not a huge specimen but even so I am sure Jim will tell you that carp gave a fight the likes of which sticks in the memory forever. That's why people travel to Thailand to fish, and I can tell you not many go home unhappy for their experience. Which is more than can be said for many wild destinations portrayed as being "fishable" when in fact all the fish where wiped out decades ago.

Each to his own mate but I just wont have it that from an angling point of veiw its the great feat that its made out to be.Still big fish put in a small pond.

Ive known Stu for a long time now and Im sure he offeres a great "angling holiday" experience.Im not sugesting that he isnt interested in conservation.Ive not fished any of the Thai fisheries so I suppose it would be unfair for me to comment on them in one way but lets get a handle on it eh Rufanuf? they are there as a money making venture (not that Ive got a problem with that) not as a "conservation project" (allthough that no doubt does eventually come into the equation eventually through either a moral prospective or simple buisness accumin)

Ive fished for a wide variety of species all round the world and can honestly say that the actual fight/landing them is a vary small part of the equation.Little things like research,preperation and that old angling essential location that lead up to actually sticking a hook in one are the challenges.

As some one involved in the buisness I understand your being biased but try and be realistic as well.Dont worry some one like me expressing my opinion about them isnt going to stop the type of clients you have booking with you!

I may quote "shows a complete lack of awareness about both conservation AND what people like Stuart have achieved in the establishing of such fisheries as Gillham's."

But those arnt/werent the issues I was disscussing.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!