Hi new member Intrested in Barbel

Andi Wakeley

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to AnglersNet. Can't help with fishing in your area (I live too far away) but did want to say Hello.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

You`re about ten minutes away from one of my stamping grounds mate. Theres some brilliant sport in the Ironbridge area.

The rivers rubbish at the mo, too much unsettled weather. If you like, when it clears a bit I`ll take you out for a day. Much better than putting my fave stretches onto the `net ;)

wolf.gif

You`re about ten minutes away from one of my stamping grounds mate. Theres some brilliant sport in the Ironbridge area.

The rivers rubbish at the mo, too much unsettled weather. If you like, when it clears a bit I`ll take you out for a day. Much better than putting my fave stretches onto the `net ;)

Sorry to hi jack the thread but am curious about winter Barbel fishing. During the summer I fished the river mainly at night and had some good Barbs. I went last week at the crack of dawn and fished all through the day untill dark with not so much as a twitch on the rod. The day was a bright frosty one. Can you give me any advice SW?

I forgot to mention my bait, I used Luncheon, Halibut pellets, sweetcorn and bread.

Also forgot to say the river wasn't in flood or even high it was just abut average and had colour.

Edited by tigger

The day was a bright frosty one.

High pressure mate, the surest way of knocking the barbel off for a few days.

Last weeks weather is still affecting the Severn. The weather is perfect but the river conditions are awful (even though it looks lovely!). I had only the third blank of the season yesterday.

They do seem to prefer settled weather so at the mo its hit and miss whether or not they`ll pick baits up. The two tactics I use in the winter are a half hour per swim mobile approach (if they`re feeding you`ll bump into them eventually) or if I know an area where a shoal is holding I`ll sit tight and wait for them to switch on.

We are in desperate need of a few foot of water as well. That normally gets them feeding well regardless of the weather.

wolf.gif

High pressure mate, the surest way of knocking the barbel off for a few days.

Last weeks weather is still affecting the Severn. The weather is perfect but the river conditions are awful (even though it looks lovely!). I had only the third blank of the season yesterday.

They do seem to prefer settled weather so at the mo its hit and miss whether or not they`ll pick baits up. The two tactics I use in the winter are a half hour per swim mobile approach (if they`re feeding you`ll bump into them eventually) or if I know an area where a shoal is holding I`ll sit tight and wait for them to switch on.

We are in desperate need of a few foot of water as well. That normally gets them feeding well regardless of the weather.

Would you stick with those same baites ?

Welcome to AnglersNet. Can't help with fishing in your area (I live too far away) but did want to say Hello.

Thanks for reply, i have fished the river down ironbridge abit, i havent done to bad really, the best days i have had of late have been past the power station, towards buildwas, as you go past the power station you come to that old not used bridge, i fished to the left of this, on the left of a big tree, i had one day there a 5,6,couple of 8's and one 11 1/2llb my personal best ever barbel. Last year i had a 10 1/2llb futher up the river about 400 yards up stream i will post pics this evening if i remember.

Would you stick with those same baits ?

There seems to be a revolution towards that new wonderbait........maggots.....

Personally I`ll just carry on with the same tactics as I know that barbel will fall for them time after time, regardless of conditions. If they`re not feeding then they won`t get caught but if they are I know the boilies/pellet feeder combo is as good as anything.

Andi, you`re not too far away there mate ;)

Try right in front of the pumphouse, opposite the `danger` sign.

It can be slow going at times but in front of the pumphouse is a good winter holding area.

wolf.gif

There seems to be a revolution towards that new wonderbait........maggots.....

Personally I`ll just carry on with the same tactics as I know that barbel will fall for them time after time, regardless of conditions. If they`re not feeding then they won`t get caught but if they are I know the boilies/pellet feeder combo is as good as anything.

Andi, you`re not too far away there mate ;)

Try right in front of the pumphouse, opposite the `danger` sign.

It can be slow going at times but in front of the pumphouse is a good winter holding area.

Is the the pump house up river of the dissused bridge?

Hi Andy,

Nice to see another Barbel fanatic on the forum there are a few of us so we should be able to pick each others brains and share our experiences on different parts of the country.

On our stretch of the upper lea we have found that when the water starts to cool in the winter the Oily baits like halibut pellets or fatty baits like sausage and some luncheon meats are not so good and switching to spicey, lamprey or curry flavoured baits instead can score more. although when the river is low, clear and cold we normally fish for chub instead.

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)