Hi new member Intrested in Barbel

Andi Wakeley

Hi Andy,

Nice to see another Barbel fanatic on the forum there are a few of us so we should be able to pick each others brains and share our experiences on different parts of the country.

On our stretch of the upper lea we have found that when the water starts to cool in the winter the Oily baits like halibut pellets or fatty baits like sausage and some luncheon meats are not so good and switching to spicey, lamprey or curry flavoured baits instead can score more. although when the river is low, clear and cold we normally fish for chub instead.

Barbel are amazing fish, hard fighting and intriguing, they can make it difficult or easy for you, it is just dependent on so many things, I love catching them, going to go next I think on sat the 8th 'rivers all being well thou', thanks for the tip

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats the kiddie :D

The colours run out of the river so expect it to be very slow going at the weekend.

I`m cutting my losses and having a day stillwater roaching instead.

Its next weekend so hopefully should be abit better............fingers crossed!!!

Going to Hampton Loade. Any one know any good spots there or how is best to fish this strech

If theres some water on then the best spot is the first swim below the big tree in the first field. Theres bushes downstream of the swim and the barbel sit under this cover. I fine it normally fishes best at dusk and just into dark (cough, cough, its BAA!).

On the right bank down from the Unicorn there are a couple of big eddies (cross three stiles to get there). These can be very good on their day but I`ve not fished them in all conditions to be able to say what they`ll be like in low clear water.

wolf.gif

If theres some water on then the best spot is the first swim below the big tree in the first field. Theres bushes downstream of the swim and the barbel sit under this cover. I fine it normally fishes best at dusk and just into dark (cough, cough, its BAA!).

On the right bank down from the Unicorn there are a couple of big eddies (cross three stiles to get there). These can be very good on their day but I`ve not fished them in all conditions to be able to say what they`ll be like in low clear water.

Cheers i will give it a go and see what happens on the day fingers crossed!

Good luck mate!

Be prepared to wait though, especially if you`re fishing the swim below the tree (can`t miss it by the way, it is the only swim on the whole stretch with a line of trees below it). The line is an underarm lob 45 degrees downstream just past the crease. Use a lightish feeder (1oz) for less disturbance and when the feeder settles just in the crease sit back and leave it. I sometimes have to wait an hour for a bite......

This time of year I`m looking for more productive swims. I`ll pm you a water to have a look at, its only just down the road for you and is a lovely bit of the Severn to fish.

Quick edit.........it seems as though I can`t send you a pm.

Is that just post count guys???????????

Edited by Severn Wolf
wolf.gif

It is indeed post count.

15 posts makes one a full member and able to use site PM, email, photo listings and no more mod pre-approval of posts before they display on the topic.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Good luck mate!

Be prepared to wait though, especially if you`re fishing the swim below the tree (can`t miss it by the way, it is the only swim on the whole stretch with a line of trees below it). The line is an underarm lob 45 degrees downstream just past the crease. Use a lightish feeder (1oz) for less disturbance and when the feeder settles just in the crease sit back and leave it. I sometimes have to wait an hour for a bite......

This time of year I`m looking for more productive swims. I`ll pm you a water to have a look at, its only just down the road for you and is a lovely bit of the Severn to fish.

Quick edit.........it seems as though I can`t send you a pm.

Is that just post count guys???????????

Hi Thanks for this info, much appreciated, what is the sort of depths to this part of the river? is it float fishable? also is there any good pike around this area if things get a bit slow going.

Do i need to post 15 or more posts for you to be able to send me anything?

It is indeed post count.

15 posts makes one a full member and able to use site PM, email, photo listings and no more mod pre-approval of posts before they display on the topic.

Cheers Newt! Thought as much.

Come on Andi, only another seven posts then I can pm you a really good stretch!

wolf.gif