Cormorants (again)

Scott

cormorants are the perfect fish catching bird. Their heart rate decreases as soon as they go under water to increase the level of oxygen going to their muscles. This increases the amount of time they can fish under water. Their pupils can dilate much more than ours allowing them to see better under water and they bulge out to give a better rotation of vision. They also have some cunning tricks for clear water venues where the fish can see them. The cormorants will zoom along the bottom to kick up silt like a smoke screan and they will then use this to ambush the fish. It looks like nature designed these birds a bit too well for our liking

Dear Bruno,

It would be very interesting if say 1 million anglers replied to your kind offer. How much are second class stamps now a days? Don't think you've got that much spare cash Bruno.

Then again, I don't think you'll get that many takers either.

Regards,

Lee.

quote:

Originally posted by big al:

we need all angling clubs to apply for licences to shoot them ....even if turned-down at least it is a application to add weight to the other ones .... so if you want to do something, get-hold of a licence for your Club fill it in and send it in . cheers, big al [/QB]

Yup, and if it's say a 6 months' permit to shoot say 6 of the peckers, and you behave responsibly, keep calm and hide your rage, DEFRA/EA will come-along after 6 months and usually extend the permit with no probs :D Two shot in 6 months but with the peckers still visiting on a weekly basis :mad:

The EA/DEFRA guy did get a tad pi*ssed-off when he saw that I'd added a 0 after the 6 to make 60, the number of those cormies on the permit :D:D

DG (= Dangerous Geezer, as far as cormies are concerned )

There's a mention of a new stance on cormorants in this months issue of Fly-fishing and Fly-tying.

It says Ben Bradshaw MP, Minister for Nature Conservation and Fisheries, has called for a review of the measures that gave the cormorant protected status. Cormorants placed on the protected list in the 70's, now have a winter population totalling over 23,000 in the UK.

Speaking at the Third National Angling Summit, he said that such is the concern about the quantities of endangered species this bird consumes, he proposes that cormorants should now be managed at certain times of the year to protect fisheries, and urges a review of the system granting licenses to shoot cormorants.

I scare them off my favorite grayling swim nearly every morning during my run, 15 minutes later on my way back I scare them off again. Maybe Mr Bradshaw can get things moving.

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...