Feeder fishing on the pole

ramc195

Hi to all

This summer i have tried to feeder fish on the pole with out much look. I tend to fo have a pole roller about 3 feet infront of mee to steddy my pole, but i still cant keep it still enough to fish this way. If any of you have tryed this methord and suceeded can you please give my some tips

Many thanks

Hi to all

This summer i have tried to feeder fish on the pole with out much look. I tend to fo have a pole roller about 3 feet infront of mee to steddy my pole, but i still cant keep it still enough to fish this way. If any of you have tryed this methord and suceeded can you please give my some tips

Many thanks

it all depends on the type of feeder you are using, i have used the method feeder in the past and found it a spectacular style of fishing, especially if the fish have got their heads down. he best way i've found is to plumb up to get the correct depth, then i had 12-18 inches of line overdepth. then i attatched a small shot about 8 inches from the hook to keep the line down. when it was set up i had about 4-6 inches of line from the tip of the pole to the water, the bites were all fierce elastic stretchers. if you are set up correctly then there should be no need to strike as the relatively short length of line between pole tip and hook, plus the weight of the feeder, means the fish hook themselves when they bolt off. but you must remember to use strong elastics and line, i used, 10lb line with black hydro elastaic doubled up through a power top 3 and there were still some hairy moments!!!!

personally i wouldn't fish this method in the winter but for late spring and summer its a real winner if you get it right.

also i found a spray bar attached to my bok helped but at the end of the day its all down to practice.

Used to use a similar method a lot when fishing the big German rivers.Rig consisted of an in line elastic (pre internal elastic days!) pole float for holding back (basicly a round bodied float with wire stem the critical thing being the position of the side eye in the body so that the current wouldnt push the float under) down too a feeder set up on a paternoster.Float ledgering but with a feeder if you like) 11m poles were what we had so what we used! The main reason for the elastic wasnt to play the fish (main target species in the matchs were bream averaging around 4lb) as we used quite heavy tackle eg 5lb main line and 2.6lb bottoms to size 14 hooks.It was simply to give a little stretch in the set up to allow the float to be pulled under without the fish feeling the resistance of the pole tip (flick tip).Keeping the pole tip still helped but wasnt as essential as if you were using a modern laccy set up and feeder and using the tip as an indicator.

Just for interest (er if youve read this far of course!!) we fished a long line "to hand" and when a bream was hooked the pole would be kept parralel to the water and swung upstream.This would get the fish on top and the powerfull current would "kite" it into the waiting net! Real fast way of getting them in and in rivers like the Wessers hey day the only way to win was to land fish faster than the rest.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I haven't used a feeder on the Pole but I used to attatch a small bait dropper to my pole rig to feed bloodworms hard on the bottom a few times and it won me a match or two. but Ive not used it for quite a few years now.

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)