Methods you loathed but became to enjoy

tincatinca

Mine was the method feeder, I had avoided it for as long as it has been around until last summer when I was persuaded by a friend to use one on the Avon for bream, and boy did it work, not only bream but river carp and barbel all have fell to its charms.

I still use normal feeders but from time to time I sling out a method feeder.

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

Probably a common one this, but for me it's the dreaded three Bs - buzzers, bivvy and bedchair!

I used to think there was little merit in catching fish by (as I saw it) lobbing out 2 or 3 rigs, reclining on the bedchair and just waiting for a fish to turn up, but when I started fishing harder stillwaters it really became a necessity. Not because you can bore a fish onto the bank, but because - even if you're doing everything right - it can take many hours, if not days, to get a bite. I still much prefer watching a float, but you can't do that for days at a time, and certainly not all night.

What I didn't realise then is that the waiting for a bite bit (which is what everyone sees you doing) is the end of a long and involved process. You have to choose a swim, map out its topography, find the spots you want to present a bait, bait them accurately, and be able to fish to them accurately. If I'm fishing 2-3 days at a gravel pit with low stock, this can all take most of the first day! But if someone walks past when I'm watching the water, all they see is a lazy bank tramp who's lobbed out 2 or 3 rigs and is getting ready for a few beers.

So, it's not always the easy option. As it happens, I tend to fish like this for tench more than any other species - if I carp fish I'm much more mobile and opportunistic.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Guest tigger

Bolt rig/ Hair rig combo always hated the idea but I must addmit it works for certain situations and I now use it quite regularly.