2002 Tunny trip

Guest Darth_codhead

Guest Cranfield

Darth, piece of advice mate, SLOW DOWN !!

This venture is not so simple and the last thing you want is to commit yourself financially (booking boats etc) before its thought through.

There are two main ways to fish for bluefin and other tuna species.

Firstly is to troll, usually surface troll at around 5 knots.

You can use artificials, skirted lures or dead fish.It is usual to "group" lures or dead fish. This means you put say, 2,3 or 4 mackerel down the trace, with the hook in the one at the end.Thereby showing a big,surface agitating bait.

Secondly you can drift. Very similar to shark fishing.

Dead fish baits out on balloons or similar.

Lots of chum/rubby dubby bags + lumps of fish, mackerel/herring would be fine (preff fresh)

In both cases you would need 50lb to 80 lb class rods and reels. Traces would be 200lb mono or single strand wire (mono could be a problem with sharks about) ,tuna have very good eyesight and anything to "heavy" will put them off.

The important part of drifting is location. You must be over significant structure. Large reefs coming high off the bottom is ideal.No coincidence that this is what you get a lot of off the west coast of Ireland.

Now you can see what I mean.

Not many UK charter boats have outriggers for trolling or the right sort of gear for hire.

Exception could be the South West shark charters or West Ireland charters.

I have done this, so know a bit more than most.

I don.t want to "rain on your parade", but I hope the foregoing is of some help.

Darth and Co.

Following on from the above post I have been watching the thread develop for the last week or so - I don't want to P**s on anyone fireworks but there is a massive amount of work to be done before a trip like this should even be considered.

Firstly there are no boats capable of trying this in that part of the country - a fighting chair in absolutley necessary - boat speed is another consideration, most boats in this country couldn't back down on a hooked fish or get near to intercept a bursting shoal quick enough. Gear must be minimum 80lb class normally 130lb and tailored for the job in hand the Giant Bluefin is without exception the hardest fighting fish that swims on this planet. If you're trolling then there are rarely more than four rods used - maybe six with chum fishing, not ten rods to a boat. Keeping the cost down is the first step to failure.

I have been collecting info / articles about anything Tuna over here and in Ireland for about six years (commercial catches etc)piecing together the jigsaw. Just look at the Irish season - 11 fish landed this season, between plenty of boats and thousands of rod hours (productive fisheries expect this in a day on the eastern seaboard of the states). These skippers are only just learning how to fish for them (with a lot of practice and expense to boot), Michael Mcviegh had an American Captain with him for quite some time showing him the ropes etc. A skipper who has never been game fishing wouldn't know where to start.

I am planning to go to Ireland next year, it is something I have dreamed of for years - Big Game from our part of the world - there are Bluefin in the Med that are well within reach of anyone in the UK too. I think you would be better looking at an alternative rather than blow a load of money on a complete gamble. This would give you all the basis of what you need to make a concerted effort from the North East. The fish in Ireland haven't just appeared reports have been floating around for years - the big commercial catch 3 years ago was thre final push the guys who have started, needed - definate proof of fish close to shore. There are rumours and assumptions that because the fish are off the Irish coast then they must be in the North Sea - until I see proof (commercial or otherwise) I wouldn't spend money chasing myths.

If you do go for it I wish you all the best.

Rob

[This message has been edited by RobT (edited 14 November 2001).]

[This message has been edited by RobT (edited 14 November 2001).]