first multi

lyons

I've always used car engine oil (mainly because I've always got a container of it lying around somewhere and I'm too disorganised to go out and buy rocket fuel). It calms a reel down from a bucking bronco to a trusty old donkey. I won't break any distance records but I cannot EVER remember cracking off.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always used car engine oil (mainly because I've always got a container of it lying around somewhere and I'm too disorganised to go out and buy rocket fuel). It calms a reel down from a bucking bronco to a trusty old donkey. I won't break any distance records but I cannot EVER remember cracking off.

thanks to all your advise everyone ,i am going on the field in a bit,i have tightend my reel and adjust it as i progress, wish me luck be back in hour an hour to let you all know. :sun:

thanks to all your advise everyone ,i am going on the field in a bit,i have tightend my reel and adjust it as i progress, wish me luck be back in hour an hour to let you all know. :sun:

right just got back in ,i reckon i casted about 40 yds with a 3oz weight on ,i had the reel on as tight as it could go .i am going bak onthe fields tommrow,and i am going to adjust it to see if i can get more distance.i know distance isnt everythink somesay but i want to get out that little bit further.wil keep you posted tomoz.

right just got back in ,i reckon i casted about 40 yds with a 3oz weight on ,i had the reel on as tight as it could go .i am going bak onthe fields tommrow,and i am going to adjust it to see if i can get more distance.i know distance isnt everythink somesay but i want to get out that little bit further.wil keep you posted tomoz.

Don't over tighten the reel, can do all sorts of nasties, allow the weight to drop to the ground and the spool should stop spinning, that is as tight as you want to go.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Don't over tighten the reel, can do all sorts of nasties, allow the weight to drop to the ground and the spool should stop spinning, that is as tight as you want to go.

cheers ken have done that,now let me get this right,i shall losen it about and try a few more casts,and i control the spool with my thumb ?is that right?

I control the spool with my thumb ?is that right?

If you have to keep your thumb on after the release, then the reel is not set up right.

I do a demo and let the lead go just holding the butt cap of the rod in my right hand.

It'll go (lead only) 150 - 180 yards with no thumb on the reel.

Your thumb only needs to come in to play after the lead hits the water.

Leaving your thumb on the line during the cast will only burn your thumb and line.

Ada

If you have to keep your thumb on after the release, then the reel is not set up right.

I do a demo and let the lead go just holding the butt cap of the rod in my right hand.

It'll go (lead only) 150 - 180 yards with no thumb on the reel.

Your thumb only needs to come in to play after the lead hits the water.

Leaving your thumb on the line during the cast will only burn your thumb and line.

Ada

what would you describe as the best casting tecnique for a longer cast

what would you describe as the best casting tecnique for a longer cast

Aaah! Catch 22 or a wind up?????

99% of top long casters on grass use a full pendulum amended to fit their own style and physique exactly ... that's why they cast nearly 300m!!!!!!

It's a nonsense to translate that into practical fishing applications, although I'm the first to admit that shore casting owes most of it's development to the advances made in gear and technique on the casting field.

I've spoke with Neil Mac about this on a number of occasions and I fish a lot with Mark Jakins (silver medal in Portugal in 2006).

I've been teaching casting for about 20 years (more structured as a licensed coach for the past 10).

There's no doubt in my mind that throwing (javelin) and hitting sports embrace certain principles of physics which cannot be altered. Unfortunately, some of those 'mechanics' often conflict with fishing a relatively bulky but delicate bait at various distances.

All I do with folks who want to increase their casting distances is work through the mechanics as simply as possible in terms of loading a fishing rod most efficiently.

You need to start on an increased arc giving the rod time to load and store your muscular energy.

The simplest but effective way to start off is with a 12 0'clock off the ground cast which gives you (normally) more distance since most of us started with an over the shoulder thump. Give a lead 180 deg arc to 'load' and you'll cast further than with a 90 deg arc (overhead) every time.

There are rules to follow to ensure this happens efficiently every time (weight transfer, head and eye position etc).

If a caster can replicate this time after time, then start to get body rotation into the equation by flipping the lead to 2 o'clock, but making sure the cast remains the same as before.

Next you need to become aerialised to make sure the baits are not dragged across the shingle/sand/beach. This is the 'key' which will affect whether the caster ever progresses in the distance league because it opens the way towards a full pendulum swing.

For most fishing purposes a full power pendulum cast is neither safe (on a crowded beach/pier) neither desirable where delicate, bulky baits are used.

Here's one of my students who has mastered the aerialised ground cast and can reach distances approaching say 160m with bait ... (from memory, I don't think Graham had cast with a multi before) .....

castingleadposition1-1.jpg

we're looking for this sort of compression ....

castingleadpositioncompression.jpg

The last word I have is that it is almost impossible to learn a good basic technique from videos, photos or books.

There are dozens of good coaches out there.

Hope that answers the question. :)

Ada

Aaah! Catch 22 or a wind up?????99% of top long casters on grass use a full pendulum amended to fit their own style and physique exactly ... that's why they cast nearly 300m!!!!!!It's a nonsense to translate that into practical fishing applications, although I'm the first to admit that shore casting owes most of it's development to the advances made in gear and technique on the casting field.I've spoke with Neil Mac about this on a number of occasions and I fish a lot with Mark Jakins (silver medal in Portugal in 2006).I've been teaching casting for about 20 years (more structured as a licensed coach for the past 10).There's no doubt in my mind that throwing (javelin) and hitting sports embrace certain principles of physics which cannot be altered. Unfortunately, some of those 'mechanics' often conflict with fishing a relatively bulky but delicate bait at various distances. bloody hell :o All I do with folks who want to increase their casting distances is work through the mechanics as simply as possible in terms of loading a fishing rod most efficiently.You need to start on an increased arc giving the rod time to load and store your muscular energy.The simplest but effective way to start off is with a 12 0'clock off the ground cast which gives you (normally) more distance since most of us started with an over the shoulder thump. Give a lead 180 deg arc to 'load' and you'll cast further than with a 90 deg arc (overhead) every time.There are rules to follow to ensure this happens efficiently every time (weight transfer, head and eye position etc).If a caster can replicate this time after time, then start to get body rotation into the equation by flipping the lead to 2 o'clock, but making sure the cast remains the same as before.Next you need to become aerialised to make sure the baits are not dragged across the shingle/sand/beach. This is the 'key' which will affect whether the caster ever progresses in the distance league because it opens the way towards a full pendulum swing.For most fishing purposes a full power pendulum cast is neither safe (on a crowded beach/pier) neither desirable where delicate, bulky baits are used.Here's one of my students who has mastered the aerialised ground cast and can reach distances approaching say 160m with bait ... (from memory, I don't think Graham had cast with a multi before) .....castingleadposition1-1.jpgwe're looking for this sort of compression ....castingleadpositioncompression.jpgThe last word I have is that it is almost impossible to learn a good basic technique from videos, photos or books.There are dozens of good coaches out there.Hope that answers the question. :) Ada
thanks ha this is going to take some time,but i WILL do it ,many thanks i will keep practicing and when i think i av got it right i will make a quick vid c what ya think :D:clap: