Sea Trout

Topecatcher

Anybody had experiance catching Sea Trout (purely for sport)from the sea? Which flies ,spinners or plugs would work the best? We fish from a small boat and fishing into dark of through the night is not a problem.

topecatcher

here on the iom we catch seatrout from the beaches but in the north of the island only (mainly) the seem to hang around fast tidal races where the are lots of sandeels. talking to old local netsman they are not local seatrout that run the local rivers but are the st that go to scotland etc, they feed big time on the vast shoals of sandeels that live here.

we spin with most sandeel imitations just below the surface, and get mixed results, some nights up to ten fish a session, then nothing.. but fish showing and jumping all over the show!! it is really frustrating, but they seem to take toby's viking herring lures, and krills, nobody has tried the fly at them as far as i know but here it is a very tight secret as too what is the real killer system!

the last week my pals have had fish to 4lb but have lost fish much bigger 8 to 10lb, there was a local match fishing session and there was fish caught to 6lb on ledgered sandeel, all returned!

this has probably not answered your question but it proves your not alone in trying to find out how to get these hard fighting b**gers into the the net!

we also get them when spinning for bass, life is a bitch but somebody has to do it!!! :D:D:D:D tight lines paul..

Hi Terry!

Out around Achill and An Corraun they spin for sea trout using small german sprat lures (which are akin to sandeels). They key seems to be to cast and retrieve very fast almost skimming along the top of the water, and alongside but not in the fast tidal races. Brown trout like high oxygen content in the water so one imagines that sea trout are no different so fast moving water would be a prime location. Also the marks I saw last summer seems to be very shallow with lots of weed cover just below the surface...

For What Its Worth...

Kieran Hanrahan

Catch this release... www.sea-angling-ireland.org

We get great numbers of Sea Trout here on the Isle of Lewis (Harris is better), and depending on the area, fishing for them usually starts in February.

Many people spin for them with great success with Sandeel imitation spinners (Krill, toby etc), but if it's in an estuary they tend to use small Mepps, and that seems to work great.

One of my mates fishes for them with great success using the fly, and his catches of numerous quality fish up to near double figures make many a person jealous. He tends to fish the fly over sandy areas mainly, or along the edge of sand and sea weed covered bottoms ... waders are a must have.

Other techniques that are used up here are frozen sandeel cast with a ball lead, and very slowly retrieved over the sand at high tide.

Me, I usually just spin with the Krills or tobys and hope for the best ... feeling they are making a fool of me and having a laugh, as they jump about everywhere.

Gillies :)

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

Hi Topecatcher,

Have a trawl on the web searching for Sea Trout Fishing in Denmark, several good sites and they make a big thing of fishing for sea trout off beaches and rocks, day and night. Mainly spinning and fly. If the sea trout are in your area, the Danish methods will also work.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk