Finaly getting to grips?

Sutton Warrior

Finally getting to grips with the D80! Took these in Clacton yesterday, someones front garden, bucket donations to the Essex Air Ambulance, very worthy cause.

1pirateDSC_0036.jpg

3OldmanDSC_0038.jpg

4mastheadDSC_0046.jpg

GorilaNikonrwDSC_0035.jpg

This one was taken on the boat on Sunday, we had bucket loads of cod, camera Canon A640, still my camera of choice on the boat and pure convenience.

GulsrwIMG_0741-1.jpg

Bucket loads like this!

2CodrwIMG_0737.jpg

SW

As I say getting to grips with the D80 now. What with the product faults and all, its been a bit frustrating . . . 'onward and upward'. Reading Ken Rockwells recommendations, he has so much experience, I started with his recommendations, but have ended up using some of my own preferences on settings and compensations. For instance he advocates 'Auto ISO', great idea, but the state I got into was unbelievable, 'auto ISO' in my humble opinion, for me, is a 'no no'. He advocates a vivid colour approach, not for me, the pictures in this test are only just OK. I still think I need to try? the colour temp down another notch for my taste, personal preferences, which Ken advocates.

It was a starting point, and 'KR's' explanation of each menu function is so understandable compared with the 'destruction book'. I say that Kens explanations are priceless, if a numpty like me can understand, its got to be good.

I have a '?' over the D80, I think the D40X, note the 'X' model!!!, would do as good a job for the armature enthusiast at a considerable cost saving. I know its limited on lenses, but how many lenses does one need? Smaller, lighter, slightly detuned spec., however, the way I see it, I'd put the saving onto some extra glass, and throw my 'anorak' in the bin :oB)

SW

Edited by Sutton Warrior

I don't use the 'Auto ISO' either, prefer to set the 'film' speed myself. I have set to 'more vivid' though, but change it when I feel it's necessary - all a matter of learning when to and when not to.

I was surprised when checking out various DSLR's that the slowest 'film' speed is usually 100 ISO (I still have a habit of calling it ASA, same scale just different letters). When I used proper film the usual one was rated at 125 ASA, but sometimes used film of just 25 ASA - the grain on that was so fine you could do huge enlargements!

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

I don't use the 'Auto ISO' either, prefer to set the 'film' speed myself. I have set to 'more vivid' though, but change it when I feel it's necessary - all a matter of learning when to and when not to.

I was surprised when checking out various DSLR's that the slowest 'film' speed is usually 100 ISO (I still have a habit of calling it ASA, same scale just different letters). When I used proper film the usual one was rated at 125 ASA, but sometimes used film of just 25 ASA - the grain on that was so fine you could do huge enlargements!

Hay, John S,

I found that on Auto ISO, the camera program not only increased the ISO, it appeared to rack up 'vivid' and anything else it could find!!!! . . . what a mess! . . . what a f***ing mess!!! Sorry just been watching Billy Connolly :P . . . ****

However, I did discover the quality of the 400 and 800 ISO, very usable, with an aperture of f5.3 at 200mm they needs to be good. Vivid, I'm your retiring British rose type . . . :lol: . . . understated??? :lol::lol:B) ??As you say it a learning curve.

Hay mate, ASA your showing your age, my Dad used to use 25ASA . . . then he got 50ASA . . . wow hold on to your seat!!! . . . OK I remember it to, seem to remember 'ASA' finally fading out in the early nineties? Noted the spec., on a Panosonic FZ50 bridge jobie had 80ISO, one hell of a camera that, let down slightly by its wide end at only 35mm, some of the pics Nurse Judie gets, wow!

Still got the trusty A640 for the rough and tumble of 'the glove compartment'. I'm a cabie, so its gets thrown about, and the Nikon could be to much temptation to the wrong eyes! I take both on the boat, but salty and fish slime hands? usually means the A640 is first gab! The wash and wipe before I will go for the DSLR??? . . . its a pain, the potential picture has got to be something special.

SW