loading line onto a centerpin

Peter M

when loading line onto a new spool make sure the line comming off its holder is orintated the same as the way you wish your line to come off the spool

CorrectwaytoalignyourLinewhenloadin.jpg

and bedding in ,is caused by lack of tension when winding on the line in the first place & too much line,more so with fine lines (less than 4lb).plus its inevitable especially after a big fish ,but if your careful and do a false run (extra long trot without bait after a big fish ,don't forget to keep feeding !)to let out extra line then stick the rod but into your hip/side (shorter handled rods are better for this) move your right hand up onto the blank grip the rod with your middle two fingers ,run the line through your index finger and thumb to give tension ,stick out your little pinkie (all posh like) to control the line so it lays level whilst winding on ,twisting your right back and forth guiding the line with your pinkie from one side to another.

sounds odd but does the job right.and remember the thinner the line the less you use ! and the more tension needed when loading the line on initially too give a firm bed and your mostly using the top twenty metre's or so.

I personally very rarely go below 5lb b/s* main line choosing to have finer hooklnks and very rarely get line bed in and i have upto 70 metres on my pins.but if i was fishing finner lines then i'd drop down to 50m or so

* 5lbs mono b/s or equivalent in braid (10-20lbs+ b/s)

if your going to use mono I can recommend ultma flo cast (hollow floatng line) in 5/6 lbs bs with 2/3lb hooklinks and casts like pure silk

braids:

fireline crystal 10 or 14 (4lb-6lb)

power pro 20lb

Spiderwire Ultracast Invisi Braid {new}

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

chavender that is a fantastic post thanks very much i was wondering if i should go to use 5Lb mono or not and the ideas about running through again are great thanks.

I'd echo chavender's thoughts, particularly the bedding in after a fish bit. I had my first proper centrepin session today and thoroughly enjoyed it, a few small Dace, a couple of Rainbows (one biggie) and several brownies. I'd loaded 100yds of 5lb mono and after every decent fish I had to do a long trot to get rid of the bedding but it wasn't really a problem because I found using the reel an absolute pleasure. More of an issue was the wind strength which caused a few tangles when I wasn't paying attention but I don't think a fixed spool reel would've coped at all in today's conditions.

Can't wait for the next session, if you've not fished with a centrepin before Peter you're in for some good times. I found back garden casting to be tricky so today I picked a narrow river to remove potential hassle. I just dobbed the float in and let the reel do the work.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back