What reel?

Houseplant

Following on from my other thread, would I be throwing away more good money by going for the BAITRUNNER AERO GTE C:

http://fish.shimano-eu.com/catalog/fish/pr...D=1203883651358

or

go for the more basic BAITRUNNER AERO RE:

or

think about a different manufacturer?

Opinions/advice appreciated?

Jack Pike Hunter Extraordinaire

Following on from my other thread, would I be throwing away more good money by going for the BAITRUNNER AERO GTE C:

or

go for the more basic BAITRUNNER AERO RE:

or

think about a different manufacturer?

Opinions/advice appreciated?

If I was you I would either check out ebay for a older model like the 5010's or 5000 gte's. Otherwise I would get one of the shimano 5000 xtea's . My m8 has the xtea'sand they'r superb, they are a real quality reel :D

thanks for that. the smaller sizes are harder to come by on eBay (buy it now option). had ruled out the xta on the basis of cost, but looking at the online stores, not much in it, so maybe :)

Ted Carters in Preston is about the cheapest I've come across for the xtea's.........£95.00

Edited by tigger

This is an interesting thread as personally I do not think that the build and component quality of the modern day Shimanos matches the earlier versions and over the last few months I have replaced all my modern Shimanos except the 5000s with original Seaspin baitrunners in the 3500 and 4500 sizes and original Biomaster 3500 and 4500 series reels. The line lay on the seaspins is nowhere near as good as the aeros but this does not bother me as I only use them for close and medium range work. The Biomasters have very good line lay anf are extremely versatile. They can be used for float, feeder and floater fishing. They are all fairly bullet proof in terms of build quality and have excellent reliable clutches. Other reels worth consideration are the older ABU Cardinals whose build quality matches anything on the market, particularly the C3, C4, C5, 54 and 55. If you are looking for a baitrunner type then the earlier 5,000 amd 6,000 sereies are a good bet especially the originaldouble handle versions. As with everything, you get loads of marketing hype about so called new products but in reallity very little changes apart from the manufacturing base and making to a cheaper price to increase profitability. Current day marketing dictates that you have to continuosly develop new products and as such there has to be an element of built in obsolecance. Everyone will have their own favourites but the reels listed above have certainly stood the test of time. It is true to say that themajority of reels on the market will do a job but some will do it better and longer than others. Depends totally on the individuals expectations.

Some smaller Shimanos are for sale in the For Sale forum:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Sale-Au...-Wanted-f7.html

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

This is an interesting thread as personally I do not think that the build and component quality of the modern day Shimanos matches the earlier versions and over the last few months I have replaced all my modern Shimanos except the 5000s with original Seaspin baitrunners in the 3500 and 4500 sizes and original Biomaster 3500 and 4500 series reels. The line lay on the seaspins is nowhere near as good as the aeros but this does not bother me as I only use them for close and medium range work. The Biomasters have very good line lay anf are extremely versatile. They can be used for float, feeder and floater fishing. They are all fairly bullet proof in terms of build quality and have excellent reliable clutches. Other reels worth consideration are the older ABU Cardinals whose build quality matches anything on the market, particularly the C3, C4, C5, 54 and 55. If you are looking for a baitrunner type then the earlier 5,000 amd 6,000 sereies are a good bet especially the originaldouble handle versions. As with everything, you get loads of marketing hype about so called new products but in reallity very little changes apart from the manufacturing base and making to a cheaper price to increase profitability. Current day marketing dictates that you have to continuosly develop new products and as such there has to be an element of built in obsolecance. Everyone will have their own favourites but the reels listed above have certainly stood the test of time. It is true to say that themajority of reels on the market will do a job but some will do it better and longer than others. Depends totally on the individuals expectations.

TT have a look at the 4500 dogfish is selling they look spot on.