new comers to boat fishing

Paddy.W.

[

May I relate my own methods when visiting a new venue for boat fishing.

First of all sea angling clubs in the locality of the port and tackle shops are well worth contacting with a view to advice on boats, expected species and popular methods.

This together with information from other sources i.e magazines,internet ect. is all useful.

Where practical a trip to the harbour at docking time to make ones own observations and a chat with angers comming ashore regarding there experiances in the area that trip and previouse trips is invaluable.

Preferably repeating this excersise over a period of time will give you a cross section of opinion and observation, also an oportunity to chat with skippers.

This may seem a little labouriouse but believe me it is a fact of life that out there in most things there are far more frogs than princess.

Perhaps being over careful, when I first moved to the Republic of Ireland Mary and I spent a summer on a lot of weekends taking a scenic drive arriving at a port by late afternoon to coinside with boat landings observing anglers comming ashore and chatting also observing the state of the boats and there crews.

Over a period a trend apeared which for the start of the following season stood us in good stead for our boat angling.

We selected in three ports one north facing, one south west facing and one west facing covering most weather that has stood us in good stead for the last number of years.

We hope these thoughts will be of some use to you.

Good Luck ( we all need a bit of that as well)

Anglers who know me would proberbly tell you I do faily well in the luck department!!

Tight lines. Charles

Paddy your advice is Good in fact the best if you live close to the coast, but a large amount of anglers dont live localy to the venue that they intend to fish, many a boat trip is planed and organised on line or over the phone without the angling party even having a sniff at the sea, and many miles driven in order to visit new ports and fishing grounds word of mouth is by far the most reliable way to acertain a good skipper and also the understanding that our sport can be fickle, so when the fish dont play it isnt always the skippers fault. Nor is bad planning on the Anglers part. if the Skipper tells you Herring is the bait to use dont turn up with squid then moan when you dont catch. And do as you are advised most skippers want you to catch and have a good day they wont give you dud info on purpose,Respect the boat and the skippers rules and he will look after you washing down the boat on the way in goes a long way as well for next time out when developing a good rapore with a new skipper. Also try to pick out a skipper who sounds enthuiastic about what he does there is a famous boat that runs out of a kent port that is run as a family buisness the boat is fantastic and so is both the skippers Knowledge but they are both dower to say the least one verging on rude, I wont use them on principle My loss realy I know, but I can go to work to look at long faces all day why would I pay good money to do the same when fishing. The craic is part of the fun, Ive had fantastic days Getting it ripped out of me for my pouting catching prowess or my way with dog fish.

Edited by five bellies

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

So I would think you are lost not going to Whitby??...Hows the SHADS do you need anymore...I still have 1000s in the shed also some twintails,4" and 6"....not fished at all for 12mths...only for Trout..been shooting 4 days each week...now building pens for the pheasents....had some good bags of pigeons....think postage on Shads will be high ...due to weight...but will sort a good price out to any one who wants.

Guest challenge

Good advice Charlie. I always found that listening to anglers helped me help them.

To all who have never met Charlie, let me tell you this.

I have worked and fished in the North Sea for going on 35 years and I thought that I new a bit about angling? Then I had the good fortune of meeting Charlie and I did something that I should have done along time ago, I listened and I observed and the more I listened and learned the more I wanted to absorb.

I had the fortune to fish with Charlie on quite a few occasions and I most certainly will fish with him again because the actual fishing is only apart of the experience.

Hi Charlie if you get to read this click onto this link and have a look. She a bit faster than the chieftain.

Regards

http://www.nautilusuk.org/docimages/1246.pdf

Good advice Charlie. I always found that listening to anglers helped me help them.

To all who have never met Charlie, let me tell you this.

I have worked and fished in the North Sea for going on 35 years and I thought that I new a bit about angling? Then I had the good fortune of meeting Charlie and I did something that I should have done along time ago, I listened and I observed and the more I listened and learned the more I wanted to absorb.

I had the fortune to fish with Charlie on quite a few occasions and I most certainly will fish with him again because the actual fishing is only apart of the experience.

Hi Charlie if you get to read this click onto this link and have a look. She a bit faster than the chieftain.

Regards

http://www.nautilusuk.org/docimages/1246.pdf

Does this mean we can have our boat back now ?

:D:D

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org

Chales since when have you needed owt so fast to catch the bigun's. All you needed was a little fat fellow at your side(Who by the way is in paddy land at the moment)//

Hi Martin.

Hope you are well, looking forward to this years fishing starting.

Tell me, is Mick over here working or pleasure?, just out of interest I understand JB will be back in the UK mid May.

Regards for now.

Charles

Hi Martin.

Hope you are well, looking forward to this years fishing starting.

Tell me, is Mick over here working or pleasure?, just out of interest I understand JB will be back in the UK mid May.

Regards for now.

Charles

Hi Charles.

He was working Quoting a big job so if he get's it you may see him later this year. Is JB coming home for good or just a visit??.

Hope you and Mary are well.

Regards Martin.