Wychwood barbel rod

Anderoo

Liam has the twin tip one. He had a 10lb 3oz barbel on it when fishing with me and it handles really well. I like Wychwood tackle and think it's underrated. Well worth the money I would say.

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

Guest J.Iddon

Yes I have the 1.5 version and its a great rod, well worth the small amount of money they cost compared to others!

Guest Rabbit

I have got the Sabre, 1.75 and my son has the 1.50 nice rods with plenty of reserve power for the bigger fish, well made with strong guides.

Three cheers for Wychwood then :)

Anyone seen or used the Wychwood Rougue X Barbel rods? They appear to be the current versions.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Three cheers for Wychwood then :)

Anyone seen or used the Wychwood Rougue X Barbel rods? They appear to be the current versions.

I've seen one and they look like the same blanks but with different cosmetics. They also have a whipped-on holder for a beta-light behind the tip ring - I do wonder if that might be a potential source of tangles...

I really would take a punt on that MAP rod I linked to - very cheap at present, well-balanced and with nicer fittings (including a proper butt cap) than the Wychwood. The only thing I would mention about it if you fish a lot of tight swims - the handle is longer than the Wychwood (which is probably why it feels so well-balanced). I like that, because (like Peter Stone) I always hold the rod when legering on rivers and I like a longer butt to tuck under my arm. It also has a screw-down reel seat which might not suit such a wide range of reels as the Wychwood.

I've seen one and they look like the same blanks but with different cosmetics. They also have a whipped-on holder for a beta-light behind the tip ring - I do wonder if that might be a potential source of tangles...

I really would take a punt on that MAP rod I linked to - very cheap at present, well-balanced and with nicer fittings (including a proper butt cap) than the Wychwood. The only thing I would mention about it if you fish a lot of tight swims - the handle is longer than the Wychwood (which is probably why it feels so well-balanced). I like that, because (like Peter Stone) I always hold the rod when legering on rivers and I like a longer butt to tuck under my arm. It also has a screw-down reel seat which might not suit such a wide range of reels as the Wychwood.

Cheers Davy. If it's the same blank that's fine. I know someone who can get rid of the betalight holder, I had the same thought about tangles. It's unlikely they'll ever see a river! The reason I asked about that one is a friend can get me a couple at a good price.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I bought the 1½lb t/c one for my brother but he's not fit enough to fish any more. I used it myself and was impressed with it. Glyn, one of the Wingham bailiffs, now has it.

Glyn also has a pair of the 1¾lb models you're interested in and I know he rates them. I expect he'll let you have a waggle of them at Wingham.

no probs if you want to have a go with mine anderoo .

the 1.5 is great for close in work and the 1.75 will put out a large method feeder 80yds without pushing the rod to hard

catch ya later glyn

no probs if you want to have a go with mine anderoo .

the 1.5 is great for close in work and the 1.75 will put out a large method feeder 80yds without pushing the rod to hard

catch ya later glyn

Cheers Glyn :thumbs:

I'll be over there this Wed-Sat I think so might see you then. I've already ordered a couple btw, so if I don't like them it'll be too late :D

You'll not reget it. I have a pair of 1.75's and they're a cracking pair of rods and so very versatile, happily used when after tench bream chub barbel or pike

I really do abuse them and every time they come up trumps, they will easily cast a three ounce lead and bait (not lob as some rods will only do) and make a vey good close in livebait rod for pike and will lob out a two/three ounce lead and three ounce bait quite comfortably

As an idea of versatility of the rod I've had barbel to 11lb 1oz and pike to 17lb 15oz on the very same rods and never found them wanting when it came to power in reserve and always feel in control when big fish fishing with them. When fishing for big fish, they're the first rods out of the bag, very underrated but very good blanks with a nice progressive curve (Avon action) that just keeps on going with a nice tip of about 18 inch's that shows up bites well

Come the new river season I think you'll have some great fun with them