Fishing in Durban

Grant

Fortunate enough to be heading off to South Africa in a couple of weeks, and should be in Durban for a weekend.

Taking fishing kit is likely to be difficult (but not impossible), and wondered if anyone had any recomendations for charter trips out of there?

Probably less interested in the Marlin stuff, as seeems to be all day trips for maybe one fish, but very interested in going out for a good day's fishing.

Elton- you may even have a link for this somewhere?!

B.A.S.S. member

Grant - I don't know how well you know Durban, but it has a bad reputation for knife-assisted muggings. During our tour of South Africa we fished safely at Cape Town, Port Elizabeth and East London.

We met two people who had been victims of knife attacks in Durban (one was knifed as he was getting out of his car)and were advised to give it a miss.

Obviously, like any big seaport, Durban will have safe and unsafe areas that the locals know all about. Make sure you seek local knowledge and act upon it.

Sorry to water your bonfire, but safety first.

Beware also of cowboy charters. They advertise, book you up, give you an early starting time, and only then do they start worrying about who they can borrow a boat from!

We had some good trips, but twice we waited on a quay for a contact that never turned up.

Hope you have a good trip, but take care.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Its a work trip, so dont have much choice over where I go, but appreciate the safety warning.

May wait til I get down there, and see if I can do something through the hotel, or one of the guys from the local office.

B.A.S.S. member

Hi Grant,

Try www.lynski.com ctc Tom, or Casea ctc Kit Case. Hotels will have all the brochures. The first is a larger sportfisherman with an excellent reputation for billfish who will also game fish, whereas Casea is a general purpose surf launched charter who really look after their clients. If you get a chance head an hour south and try Sensational Charters, ctc Denise for a day on Protea reef for some small (10 - 30 kg)yellowfin - more action and great fight on light gear.

As for the safety, stay away from the city and south beachfronts at night. North beach and Umhlanga are quite safe. Take all the normal precautions, ie do not go off the beaten track alone, do not carry large amounts of cash, passport, all your cards etc and you should be fine. In general you should find it safer than Goodison Park on a Saturday.....

Conversation is the forerunner to conservation.