summer baits in winter

The Flying Tench

Make me jealous, Neil. How big were the roach you got this summer?

The upper reaches of the Bristol Avon, around Malmesbury used to be an excellent Roach venue, I think we have had this conversation before regarding big Roach John, and I would say without a shadow of doubt the best method for big Roach in the winter had to be feeder with crumb/mash with flake on the hook. However I have had some cracking Roach fishing this summer, whilst targeting Barbel, on the Lower Severn, with a feeder full of groundbait and 8mm hallibut pellet, they went crazy for it. On the middle Severn they get caught on 14mm pellets, I have had them, big clonking things, hardly Mr Crabtree esq though. :fishing1:

Don't neglect the Canals the K&A is stuffed with quality Roach, so much to go at your way....

john clarke

Make me jealous, Neil. How big were the roach you got this summer?

I didn't weigh any of them John, but they were between 3/4 lb, to 1.5lbs, but as said they were not on light tackle, so I didn't get the real satisfaction of catching them. But they were well conditioned, true Roach. The amount of pellet feed that goes into the Severn, the Roach seemingly treat as another food source, they will readily take a 14mm hallibut pellet at Blackstone (Bewdley) on the Severn (BAA). Of course Bewdley offers some excellent Barbel fishing too John, and some rather nice B&B's to be found...just a thought :fishing1:

Edited by Neil Smart
  • Like 1

Sounds a great idea for next summer, Neil - a combined roach and barbel hunt! I'm going to Britford on the Hants Avon next week for a couple of days, but the forecast is bright and clear, not ideal for roach.

Well I would be up for that...plus take in a day on the Wye too?

For mid Thames, Windsor to Oxford, for winter you can't beat liquidised bread in a feeder with a big piece of flake on the hook. I've had some clonking roach, often on the first cast with this method, plus of course bream and chub. Hotspots tend to be the tail end of lock cuts.

• Like 1

Hi there,

To be honest the baits that are used for me summer fishing are exactly the same as for winter, most of me fishing is on rivers for big roach using bread, sweet corn or worms and these baits can be used at any time,

There is a belief that hemp doesn't work During the winter but I can assure that this us just a complete falicy and does work as I've had some terrific sport during the winter when using it,

However if one is considering about using pellets with a high oil content IE halibut pellets then these would be used during the summer when the water temps are warm,

During the winter I'd be inclined to use a very low oil content pellet as these will be more easily digested by the fish

• Like 1

For mid Thames, Windsor to Oxford, for winter you can't beat liquidised bread in a feeder with a big piece of flake on the hook. I've had some clonking roach, often on the first cast with this method, plus of course bream and chub. Hotspots tend to be the tail end of lock cuts.

Yep yer absolutely right mate, I couldn't agree more

• Like 1

Ooooh I love all this dirty talk about big Roach and flake in the Winter, whetting my appetite. :fish:

• Like 2