Have I been ripped off?

Merseamudboy

This mature blokes first few months of angling has gone very well. There is an awful lot to learn! I’ve been using lures on the Kendal and Lancaster canal. I’ve caught some perch. What a beautiful fish! I’ve been both drop shotting and casting across the canal with a weedless cheb head as I found a jig head was forever snagging. 
I paid for a couple of hours at a local fishery (Estwaite) as I wanted to broaden my experience and hopefully catch some larger fish. I caught 16 fish from the jetty using a float for the first time with maggots. All smaller fish mainly perch with some hybrids thrown in. 
I’m presently in Wales in my camper as my lovely wife is walking Offa’s Dyke and I’m collecting her when she finishes. 
I paid some day tickets to fish the Llangollen Canal and I had a nice perch yesterday. 
Today I went to a fishery, bought some worms and paid nearly £30 to catch 4 trout that I was assured were about 3lb. It wasn’t really about the trout (which would have been appreciated) but I want the experience of catching and playing some sizeable fish. Today I spent 4 hours fishing the trout pond that is for worms. Despite going around all the pond and varying my depth as suggested I had not a single solitary bite! It was soul destroying. Two other anglers turned up for my final hour and to my surprise they were using a lure and a spinner. They had nothing either. 
I spoke to the boss. He suggested fishing another pond for smaller trout and said I could have as many as I wanted. In 2 hours I caught 2 tiny bream. It turns out that this 2nd pond was the coarse pond that was free with my ticket anyway! Two other anglers caught not a sausage in those 2 hours. 
I’m not a coarse fisherman. I did however really enjoy the subtleties needed to catch tiny bream with a worm on a size 10 hook. 
It’s not just about catching fish I know but I do feel rather ripped off. Tomorrow I’m back to the canal but I’ll try using my remaining worms. 
Ive still to catch a reasonable sized fish. It’s not about the fish itself but the need to do a bit of a battle. 

Hi, welcome to the forum :thumbs:

As long as your rod was suitable I think you might have caught a lot more on maggots on a size 18 hook and a 2lb hooklength on your canal and on your coarse fishing pond; however you should have had at least something using half a worm on 3lb line with a size 14 or size 10 hook (depending on the size of the worm of course).

Anyway I hope you do better the next time.

Glad you are enjoying your coarse fishing.

tight lines

Keith

Edited by BoldBear
  • Like 1

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

• 4 weeks later...