Small Boat Fishing Club

Matt_B

Hope it is ok to put this on here...

Thought I would let people know about our fishing club - Southwick Deep Sea Anglers.

Based in Southwick, just west of Brighton near the Shoreham power station.

New members always welcome, for more info have a look at:

www.southwickdeepseaanglers.org

Matt_B:

Hope it is ok to put this on here...

Thought I would let people know about our fishing club - Southwick Deep Sea Anglers.

Based in Southwick, just west of Brighton near the Shoreham power station.

New members always welcome, for more info have a look at:

www.southwickdeepseaanglers.org

Welcome to AN mate, if its not ok to put your post on here they will soon shout at you :D

I hope that you will be posting on here about what is going on in your area and if people are visiting your area that you can help out with "local Knowledge".

Alan(nl)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

It's been a while since I fished from the beach or the harbour walls. There are plenty of mackerel and gars showing whilst out on the boat, less than 2 miles offshore, so no reason why they shouldn't be around the walls. You could always pick up a nice bass round there as well - try livebaiting with a small mackerel or pout.

Good luck.

Leon.

I think it depends which end of the beach you`re going to fish? The lagoon end (where all the beach huts are) tends to pull all the vandals (or ski-scooters). The harbour end is where I prefer to fish. You can catch small flatties, even at low water. Though mackeral and gars tend to be high water fish.

If you fish the western arm of the harbour entrance. From the inside dabs and flounder might be around, or small shoals of small pollack tight against the inside wall. I think it`s a bit early for sole, but they can be caught there! I once had a youngster run up to me and inquire,"what`s this mister?". I had to reply that it was only a sole of about 3lbs!!!!!!! I also added, that he should take it straight home and give it to his mum, and not swap it for the half dozen mackeral his mate was offering in exchange!! I know I should have told him to put it back, but the poor little sod had his eyes on the 6 mackeral.

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

In a similar vein to the last post, many years ago I was fishing a small river in Clare and not catching anything when I saw a young lad (no more than seven) crawling along the bank towards me. on closer inspection he was dropping about five feet of line with a bunch of worms on a treble hook delicately over the bank into the eddie pools that were formed by the cataracts above me. A matter of twenty feet away, he springs up and flings a four lb sea trout out onto the grass. The poor fish never knew what happened to it!

I walked down (trying not to look too dumbstruck having had not as much as a rise all day) and asked him what he was going to do with it... " Ah sure 'tis only a white trout, I might put it back, the da is sick of them... he asked me to see if there was a salmon about." Yes indeed, the kids had standards back then :-)

Kieran Hanrahan

Catch this release... www.sea-angling-ireland.org