Give an idiot a clue.

Sythor

Im selling my coarse fishing gear and the procedes will go towards a brand new rod and reel for sea fishing. Its probably a regular thing this, but i need some advice. My budget will be around £50-£60. Is it worth my while getting gear this cheap, or am i wasting my time. Will i get a decent enough beachcasting rod and reel that will do me proud. I know money isnt everything,,,but i dont want to bother if all ill get is lightweight, flimsy garbage. If there is any hope for me please feel free to recommend.

Hi it really depends what sort of sea fishing you are doing. Some of your coarse gear could quite easily be used for light sea fishing. Do you have any carp or pike gear?

£50-60 isn't a great budget to work with for a good set up. As they say you only get what you pay for!

Ah,im hoping to do some light beachcasting. I would be fishing in and around the forth estuary and would occasionally travel to the west of scotland. Im not interested in conquering angry sharks, perhaps the occasional ill-tempered flounder.

Right well if you have carp or pike gear the rods and reels would be suitable for light beachcasting, spinning and float fishing etc.

If you don't have this gear I would suggest a flattie rod such as the shakespeare odessa flattie which can be bought for just over £30. The rod is a nice light blank and can be used with leads of up to 3oz. As for a reel I'd up the budget abit and get something by shimano. Quality lasts.

Have you doen any sea fishing before and what areas on the west coast were you thinking of fishing?

I done a little bit of sea fishing but i would still say im a novice,,,im banking on learning once ive got my stuff together. Ive heard nothing but positive reviews about the Ron Thomson Combo's. I reckon i could get myself one of them in the meantime and in June i should be able to stretch to £150.00. Dont know much about the west but finding out shouldnt be difficult, any recomendations?

Just remember you only get what you payed for. Dont expect it to work miracles. Take it from somebody who's worked in the tackle trade. Remember alot of tackle shops try to sell you what they have rather than what you need!

Millport is a fairly good place during the summer. Also various spots on Loch Fyne such as Inveraray pier, Furnace pier and the Bistro.

A nice variety of pre-packaged rod/reel combo (usually a little cheaper than buying separately

Here

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President